Vote: Removing Automatic PR Size Labels

Travis Scrimshaw

Jun 12, 2024, 11:27:46 PMJun 12
to sage-devel
PR labels are being automatically added to roughly indicate their size. There are three options besides keeping the current behavior:

(A1) Remove the automatic adding of labels; the must be added manually (like most other labels).
(A2) Have a "whitelist" of contributors who want to have this automatically added to their PRs.
(A3) Have a "blacklist" of contributors who do not want to have this automatically added to their PRs.
(B) Keep the current way of automatically adding it for all PRs.

This will be assuming that if you vote for (Ai), your vote will automatically count for all (Aj) >= (Ai) unless you state otherwise. For example, if there are 3 votes for (A1), 2 votes for (A3) and 4 votes for (B), we will go with (A3) as the total is 5 votes.

The vote will close on Friday, June 21st.

My vote: (A1)

Best,
Travis

Matthias Koeppe

Jun 13, 2024, 12:22:44 AMJun 13
to sage-devel
-1 on conducting a vote without any discussion of the matter.

julian...@fsfe.org

Jun 13, 2024, 5:20:39 PMJun 13
to sage-devel
I vote for (A1) and no other option.

(I don't see enough added value of these labels and I think that any *list approach is going to be a too obscure feature to warrant the extra effort of maintaining it.)

seb....@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2024, 2:50:36 AMJun 14
to sage-devel
I vote for A3. If finally there are more votes for A1 than for B then you may count it for A2, as well.

Eric Gourgoulhon

Jun 14, 2024, 6:17:03 AMJun 14
to sage-devel
I vote for (A1).

Eric.

Kwankyu Lee

Jun 14, 2024, 7:56:26 AMJun 14
to sage-devel
+1 to (A1)

Vincent Delecroix

Jun 15, 2024, 2:52:00 AMJun 15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On the material side I vote (A1).

On the human side I vote (B). Matthias raised a delicate point: this
feature was introduced by a newcomer to sage development. The feature
might have been wrongly guided or badly thought. Nevertheless, it
would be very unwelcoming to just revert it.

Ideally, there would be a "make the feature even nicer" solution
rather than "get rid of that s***". Though, this requires a concrete
proposal more than a vote, and I have nothing magical to share at this
stage.

Best
Vincent

On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 at 13:56, Kwankyu Lee <ekwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 to (A1)

Matthias Koeppe

Jun 15, 2024, 5:26:27 PMJun 15
to sage-devel
On Friday, June 14, 2024 at 11:52:00 PM UTC-7 Vincent Delecroix wrote:
> Ideally, there would be a "make the feature even nicer" solution rather than "get rid of that s***". Though, this requires a concrete proposal more than a vote

Exactly, that's why a proper participation in the discussion before calling a vote would have been necessary.

I did share one concrete proposal in https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/w4IeYgXgVUc/m/N-Qrk3hzAwAJ. Let's call it

(B7) Automatic labeling, but reduce the feature to: A size label "\tiny" (to encourage quick reviews of trivial changes); a size label "\HUGE" (to help flag problematic PRs). No size labels for "medium-sized" PRs (they do not add much).

I vote for (B7).

Gareth Ma

Jun 15, 2024, 5:35:14 PMJun 15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I vote for (A1) and no other options.

In fact, I don't think size related labels should be a thing at all, so the
second half of (A1), i.e. "the[y] must be added manually (like most other
labels)", should preferably be removed as well. (The wording suggests they will
be kept and added manually.)

seb....@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2024, 1:59:29 AMJun 17
to sage-devel
Here I forward this post from Dima, which didn't find the right channel:

Fri, Jun 14, 12:25 PM (3 days ago)

Please record my vote for A3.

I also wonder whether this setup has a side feature which would allow
us to collect stats on the sizes of contributions.

Cheers
Dima

seb....@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2024, 2:19:45 AMJun 17
to sage-devel
> The feature might have been wrongly guided

I'm sorry, that was my mistake (see my recent comment in #37262). This caused that there is a difference between B and B7.

>  Nevertheless, it would be very unwelcoming to just revert it.

This is the motivation behind Option A3.

Travis Scrimshaw

Jul 1, 2024, 10:21:34 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to sage-devel
Sorry for the delayed response due to conference travel.

Vote count:

(A1) 5
(A3) 1
(B) 1ish

As such, please remove this automatic labeling of PR sizes.

We can have a proper discussion about how to make it easier for newcommers to find good PRs to review, but we should actually have that discussion before adding such features.

Best,
Travis

Matthias Koeppe

Jul 2, 2024, 10:35:37 AM (14 hours ago) Jul 2
to sage-devel
It really does not work this way.