Feature request: Flatpak

Beth Claire

Apr 18, 2021, 12:17:39 AM4/18/21
to sage-devel
Flatpak is a format for packaging Linux desktop applications that can work on most distros using a single binary.  Given the difficulty of packaging Sagemath for each distro, and the difficulty of updating existing Sage packages to work with newer versions of distros, I think having a flatpak package of sagemath would make it easier to get the latest version of Sage running on as many systems as possible.

--Beth

Volker Braun

Apr 18, 2021, 4:17:31 AM4/18/21
to sage-devel
flatpak is designed for gui apps, registering a desktop icon and so on. To really make use of it we'd need at least a small gui app that then lets you start/stop the jupyter server and/or launch browser windows.

If you just want to run Sage then there is already a one-liner podman / docker command to download and run it (and with podman any user account can do it, no permission setup needed):

 podman run  -it sagemath/sagemath

318...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2021, 1:23:09 AM4/25/21
to sage-devel
Flatpak actually can handle CLI-only apps: for example, see mosh or appstream-glib.  They are hidden on the Flathub website, and that is by design.

But yes, what I really want is an any-distro way to easily launch Sage and a Jupyter notebook in a browser.

Samuel Lelievre

Apr 25, 2021, 2:53:03 PM4/25/21
to sage-devel
2021-04-18 08:17:31 UTC, Volker Braun:
flatpak is designed for gui apps, registering a desktop icon and so on.
To really make use of it we'd need at least a small gui app that then
lets you start/stop the jupyter server and/or launch browser windows.

Marc Culler's SageMath-macOS app could provide inspiration for that.

If you just want to run Sage then there is already a one-liner
podman / docker command to download and run it (and with
podman any user account can do it, no permission setup needed):

 podman run  -it sagemath/sagemath

 I installed podman under macOS using Homebrew by running
```
$ brew install podman
```
and I then got the following error running the command above:
```
$ podman run -it sagemath/sagemath
Error: cannot connect to the Podman socket, please verify that Podman
REST API service is running: Get "http://d/v3.1.2/libpod/_ping": dial
unix ///var/folders/fp/.../T/podman-run--1/podman/podman.sock:
connect: no such file or directory
```
Seems I'm missing one step to get the REST API service running.