GSoC Project Opportunity

Markéta Sluková

Apr 1, 2019, 10:59:07 AM4/1/19
to sage-coding-theory
Hi, I am currently working on my Masters thesis regarding rank metric McEliece cryptosystems. From what I have understood, there was a GSoC project on this few years back. Since I will be working with Sage, I was wondering if there was any opportunity to combine my work with a GSoC project?

Best wishes,
Marketa

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 1, 2019, 11:01:46 AM4/1/19
to sage-codi...@googlegroups.com
Sure, your GSoC project can have an overlap with your school work, nothing wrong with it.

Markéta Sluková

Apr 1, 2019, 11:07:33 AM4/1/19
to sage-coding-theory
My question was meant more along the lines of possible suggestions what specifically would be a good project to work on and if there are any mentors that would be willing to supervise it. Since there was a rank metric project few years ago, I don't want to submit a proposal on something that's already been done.

On Monday, 1 April 2019 17:01:46 UTC+2, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
Sure, your GSoC project can have an overlap with your school work, nothing wrong with it.

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 1, 2019, 11:58:03 AM4/1/19
On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 4:07 PM Markéta Sluková <em.sl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question was meant more along the lines of possible suggestions what specifically would be a good project to work on and if there are any mentors that would be willing to supervise it. Since there was a rank metric project few years ago, I don't want to submit a proposal on something that's already been done.

You should check whether it actually was done and accepted into Sage.
In fact, it looks it was never started, see:
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21352
One can also see some Sage code for in
http://digitalcommons.csbsju.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1019&context=honors_theses

Yes indeed, there could be code somewhere on the net, of questionable
quality etc.,
and an engineering task of getting it into Sage, with proper design,
documentation, tests, etc.