GSoC Project Opportunity

28 views
Skip to first unread message

Markéta Sluková

unread,
Apr 1, 2019, 10:59:07 AM4/1/19
to sage-coding-theory
Hi, I am currently working on my Masters thesis regarding rank metric McEliece cryptosystems. From what I have understood, there was a GSoC project on this few years back. Since I will be working with Sage, I was wondering if there was any opportunity to combine my work with a GSoC project?

Best wishes,
Marketa

Dima Pasechnik

unread,
Apr 1, 2019, 11:01:46 AM4/1/19
to sage-codi...@googlegroups.com
Sure, your GSoC project can have an overlap with your school work, nothing wrong with it. 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "sage-coding-theory" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sage-coding-the...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to sage-codi...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-coding-theory/e6ea4282-8b94-4843-b5ec-3369888327cf%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Markéta Sluková

unread,
Apr 1, 2019, 11:07:33 AM4/1/19
to sage-coding-theory
My question was meant more along the lines of possible suggestions what specifically would be a good project to work on and if there are any mentors that would be willing to supervise it. Since there was a rank metric project few years ago, I don't want to submit a proposal on something that's already been done.


On Monday, 1 April 2019 17:01:46 UTC+2, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
Sure, your GSoC project can have an overlap with your school work, nothing wrong with it. 

Dima Pasechnik

unread,
Apr 1, 2019, 11:58:03 AM4/1/19
to sage-codi...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 4:07 PM Markéta Sluková <em.sl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My question was meant more along the lines of possible suggestions what specifically would be a good project to work on and if there are any mentors that would be willing to supervise it. Since there was a rank metric project few years ago, I don't want to submit a proposal on something that's already been done.

You should check whether it actually was done and accepted into Sage.
In fact, it looks it was never started, see:
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21352
One can also see some Sage code for in
http://digitalcommons.csbsju.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1019&context=honors_theses

Yes indeed, there could be code somewhere on the net, of questionable
quality etc.,
and an engineering task of getting it into Sage, with proper design,
documentation, tests, etc.


>
> On Monday, 1 April 2019 17:01:46 UTC+2, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>
>> Sure, your GSoC project can have an overlap with your school work, nothing wrong with it.
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 15:59 Markéta Sluková, <em.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, I am currently working on my Masters thesis regarding rank metric McEliece cryptosystems. From what I have understood, there was a GSoC project on this few years back. Since I will be working with Sage, I was wondering if there was any opportunity to combine my work with a GSoC project?
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Marketa
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "sage-coding-theory" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sage-coding-the...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to sage-codi...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-coding-theory/cab45ed5-63e3-479b-bee1-44760cd6d95f%40googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages