Re: [sage-devel] New contributor's questions: Patchbot failing on random test + Copyright

David Joyner

Aug 4, 2021, 12:40:04 PM8/4/21
to sage-devel, sage-coding-theory

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 12:21 PM Maxime Bombar <maxime...@inria.fr> wrote:
Hello everyone,

My name is Maxime Bombar and I am a PhD student at INRIA Saclay, France.

Lately, I worked on rank-metric codes and there are some pieces of code
I'd like to add to Sage. This would be my first contribution to Sage (of
many more in the future I hope).

Rank metric codes have been introduced in Sage 9.2 last year, and I need
to adapt my code to Sage upstream codebase (I began working with Sage
9.0 and some things have already been included).

I began with something really easy and opened a trac ticket with the
implementation of a new channel made for the rank metric: #32330. As I
can see Sage development entered the release candidate phase for 9.4 I
tagged this to 9.5.

https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/32330

Patchbot failed in the first run because of bad block formatting, which
I corrected in a second commit.

However, now Patchbot fails on a test which seems completely independent
from this ticket:

sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/parallel/map_reduce.py
    Timed out

and then a more explicit traceback

(see
https://patchbot.sagemath.org/log/32330/Linux/1_SMP_Debian_4.19.194-2_(2021-06-21)/x86_64/4.19.0-17-amd64/pascaline/2021-08-04%2015:11:37?short
for more information).

Am I missing something here ?

By the way, what is the recommended way to check locally all the
requirements ? I am aware of sage -t, and I used a Python Linter to
check against PEP8, but I should have seen this block formatting issue.
Should I just build locally the patchbot ?

Also, there is a copyright block in the file src/sage/coding/channel.py
in which I included my new channel. I am not really familiar with IP
concerns. Should I create a new file instead and load it in
channels_catalog.py ?

I'm not sure I can answer your question but the copyright block in
https://git.sagemath.org/sage.git/tree/src/sage/coding/channels_catalog.py?id=abf97b817ebb4618b8e5d9e629a5e03f696c3dad
says "Copyright (C) 2015 David Lucas ...". Don't you want it to read "Copyright (c) 2021 Maxime Bombar ..."?

Thanks,

Best,

--
Maxime Bombar