Caching output in worksheets

Gustavo de Oliveira

Jul 27, 2016, 4:44:29 PM7/27/16
to sage-cloud
Hello.

I have been using public worksheets in SageMathCloud, and I noticed that the outputs in my worksheets are not being saved permanently. The outputs are being saved for a few days, but not permanently. For instance, here is one my worksheets:
Is this a bug? My impression is that the outputs should be saved permanently.

The only messages related to this that I could find here in the google-group are
and

Regards,
Gustavo de Oliveira

William Stein

Jul 27, 2016, 4:55:15 PM7/27/16
to sage-cloud
On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Gustavo de Oliveira <goliv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello.

I have been using public worksheets in SageMathCloud, and I noticed that the outputs in my worksheets are not being saved permanently. The outputs are being saved for a few days, but not permanently. For instance, here is one my worksheets:
Is this a bug? My impression is that the outputs should be saved permanently.

If you explicitly click the Save button to save the worksheet to disk, then it should also make all images permanent.  If you do not do so, then it should not, and they should vanish.

The only messages related to this that I could find here in the google-group are
and

Regards,
Gustavo de Oliveira

Best Regards,
William Stein

CEO, SageMath, Inc.

Andrey Novoseltsev

Jul 28, 2016, 3:52:13 PM7/28/16
to sage-cloud
On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 14:55:15 UTC-6, William Stein wrote:

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Gustavo de Oliveira <goliv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello.

I have been using public worksheets in SageMathCloud, and I noticed that the outputs in my worksheets are not being saved permanently. The outputs are being saved for a few days, but not permanently. For instance, here is one my worksheets:
Is this a bug? My impression is that the outputs should be saved permanently.

If you explicitly click the Save button to save the worksheet to disk, then it should also make all images permanent.  If you do not do so, then it should not, and they should vanish.

Perhaps it could be explained in a tool tip for the "Save button" - with frequent autosaving and syncing it is not at all clear what the heck it is doing...

Gustavo de Oliveira

Sep 17, 2016, 8:21:52 AM9/17/16
to sage-cloud
I saved each cell individually (and manually), but it still doesn't work. After a while the images (from plots and LaTeX) are gone. I am just mentioning this again because I think it is a useful feature, in my opinion, that could be fixed when possible.

(I may try again, once more, and then submit a feature request or bug ticket, for the record.)

Best regards,
Gustavo de Oliveira

William Stein

Sep 17, 2016, 11:14:08 AM9/17/16
to sage-cloud
On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 5:21 AM, Gustavo de Oliveira
<goliv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saved each cell individually (and manually), but it still doesn't work.
> After a while the images (from plots and LaTeX) are gone. I am just
> mentioning this again because I think it is a useful feature, in my opinion,
> that could be fixed when possible.
>
> (I may try again, once more, and then submit a feature request or bug
> ticket, for the record.)

I fixed this bug about two weeks ago [1]. Getting the fix definitely
requires refreshing your browser.

I just checked in a worksheet [2] I have from two weeks ago and all
the plots are properly visible still.

It's not necessary to "saved each cell individually (and manually)",
but it is necessary to click the save button (or leave your browser
open long enough for autosave).

There may be some specific issue in your worksheet (?) causing the
save code to somehow not be able to locate the images in the worksheet
- if so that would make debugging easier. The function in line 1144
of [1] might be insufficient in some edge case I don't know about.

[1] https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/commit/3eecccb8cfca72911e2cd0be640ac97bf978c4e9

[2] https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/ad69acab-9d6e-4895-9a70-80166d691d11/files/questions/2016-08-30-average-root-number-cremona.sagews
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-cloud/dd49f78e-f94f-4e04-bdd9-5a078c1f7d62%40googlegroups.com.

Gustavo de Oliveira

Oct 21, 2016, 9:44:16 AM10/21/16
to sage-cloud
Thank you, William, and thank you, Sage developers.
The bug is fixed:
The output in sage worksheets is now beautifully cached to be displayed publicly at any time.
Brilliant.

Regards,
Gustavo de Oliveira