Google Analytics

Ingo Dahn

Apr 12, 2023, 1:13:06 PM4/12/23
to sage-cell
One of our users observed that a generated HTML page contacts google-analytics.com. in particular ssl.google-analytics.com when the page contains a SageCell. Does anyone know, which connections are there from SageCell to Google Analytics and which data are shared?

Andrey Novoseltsev

Apr 12, 2023, 4:03:26 PM4/12/23
to sage-cell
I believe it is done by this code:

I don't know how exactly it is used, "it just was there" when I picked up the codebase in 2014 or so.

Ingo Dahn

Apr 15, 2023, 6:40:11 PM4/15/23
to sage-cell
Could, perhaps, the Google analytics code be removed? For me SageCell worked perfect when I used the browser extension adding do-not-track to all requests.
 At least that would save me some time explaining to my users that using SageCell is safe :-).

William Stein

Apr 15, 2023, 8:03:24 PM4/15/23
to Ingo Dahn, sage-cell
Hi,

For what it is worth I have access to the google analytics reports for
sagecell.sagemath.org. Right at the top it has a big banner:

"On July 1, 2023, this property will stop processing data. Starting in
March 2023, for continued website measurement, you should create a new
Google Analytics 4 (GA4) property, or one will be created for you
based on your original property and reusing existing site tags."

So.... it's about to stop working anyways.

As far as I can tell personally, the user interface with Google
Analytics 4 is much worse than GA3, and also when you switch you lose
all historical data.

Also, looking at the data for sagecell is very weird, since it's
basically zero users until mod 2022, and then only about 50/week
afterwards. It seems highly unlikely those numbers can possibly be
right, and presumably Andrey has better analytics internally (?).

In any case, my vote would be to delete all the current Google
analytics code from sage cell server. It's better to track something
internally or switch to a different platform.

William
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

Andrey Novoseltsev