Strange output with show()?

Jorge Garcia

Mar 22, 2021, 11:38:58 PM3/22/21
to sage-cell
HI All,
Anyone else having trouble with show()? I had written several sagecells with my multivariable calculus students these pasr few months with no errors. After this past weekend, whenever I try to evaluate one of these cells, I never know when I'm going to get odd output.

Question15: Here's the permalink and a screenshot (output problems are not consistent so you may not see what I see) with the weird output.
Question15.png

Jorge Garcia

Mar 22, 2021, 11:43:13 PM3/22/21
to sage-cell
Question20.png

Jorge Garcia

Mar 23, 2021, 1:16:35 AM3/23/21
to Elimboto Yohana, sage-cell
Hi Elimboto,
Thanks for the feedback. What's odd is that I wrote both these examples in class about a month ago and they both worked fine with similar outputs.
Be well,
A. Jorge Garcia

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 12:55 AM Elimboto Yohana <e...@tssfl.com> wrote:
Hi Jorge,

This is a bit strange! I also got the same results as you for both questions 15 and 20 with https://sagecell.sagemath.org. But when I copy and paste the two pieces of code and execute them one by one at https://www.tssfl.com/programming-and-computing-with-python-right-from-the-forum-6300, I got the attached figure for question 15. For question 20 the code executes successfully but produces nothing.

Kind regards,

Elimboto

David Farmer

Mar 23, 2021, 6:22:33 AM3/23/21
to sage-cell

I spent some time looking at this after your posting yesterday.

The symptom is that MathJax does not understand the macros
\newcommand
and
\verb

So, something has happened when the sage cell initialized.
There is nothing wrong with your code. In fact, if you paste
the code with the error into the cell in the page without
the error, you will see that it works fine. (and vice-versa)

Another symptom is that the working code auto-evaluates
when you click the link, but the other one does not.

Why the sage cell is not initializing in the same way,
and why it is consistent for those two examples, I don't know.

David

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, Jorge Garcia wrote:

> Question20: Now here's an example without outputissues:https://sagecell.sagemath.org/?z=eJy9UkFu2zAQvPsVC-QgMiUSyQZSNDV7KNCjvpCANml5UYsUlkwi_j4kZTh2IOSQFrlInMHO7
> O6QV8uaw9DU32tgzd3NHYffhF3nYUUa_mgM6CwsrnJVh8_G3gOZLnMb92S10bCJMD4sv8WHpWzE6fgDlNUQf8n6Qju4gyLYOkcarQrGQ3DgsR8Ou
> ItJLel66zwLexMUFxAT9mhPuFlLWsuVgHotC7eWA-YGisMOrb6HxEKvvAe3K-ewRwvDIbXKzJPFnaMetLEeQwRGeycbnnBST7tk0bThwu_dC6s-7
> z7rWvHFsyJWkSgLJNhLtMF0pA7sdCBBohErPhWJWgzIf07z9LIS_QW4sYzz47TJL-exuZjY9caGMnSahwIqaMdyP238h03e8vmKbmmxdpxJip2_E
> H79QXBJXol2fAen8No4b_32GD-2jtkrvoMz97I9T2qbcjKUEyhvSv1VhSKHGtj4uFEkYv7y_3JJX946rVycZBtv-2MyE1GJ8udz5BRanITjSRiPN
> fFceEEW4SvEXJWU&lang=sage&interacts=eJyLjgUAARUAuQ==
>
> So, am I missing something?
>
> Thanks in advance and be well,
> A. Jorge Garcia
> Applied Math & CS
> Nassau Community College
> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
>
> On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 11:38:58 PM UTC-4 Jorge Garcia wrote:
> HI All,Anyone else having trouble with show()? I had written several sagecells with my multivariable
> calculus students these pasr few months with no errors. After this past weekend, whenever I try to
> evaluate one of these cells, I never know when I'm going to get odd output.
>
> Question15: Here's the permalink and a screenshot (output problems are not consistent so you may not see
> what I see) with the weird output.
> https://sagecell.sagemath.org/?z=eJy9VMtuwjAQvOcrVuIQu3KBqIJKVLlU6jFfUFWVg51gldjIMTT--_oRKKE5oLbiEnvHO7Pe2ciTbIFh
> l80f54Cy5XSJ4VmLum7hQTN4YcIIJSGZ-KxaHLhcgea1x0q1l4wzKC3YvBUSdRioZC7I7mPoWRRDJSRbgdlwaGjbgqrC3myEhN2WGu6RvRSV0g0w
> LlthLCC9UXmGXezYsYgnxdJJu1GfKP29-qhqipMD1Si1blO52_c9PcViAUmJX3BS--DYZZ9Qx4Q6JASoVdsDR4GYe5j4kyYX0vBa0y06bTJiAy-q
> k47sxGxJFnd-Oco3TrsZBFOJjpVSd2VvdjmwQzVcmuCIa1YbQaHowoQK-webvs2_RTXXWNGNWGavsMwRU1J0F2G0rbAjot01otar2ItwZBbrc3fW
> zhuufdfhJ6UfNEBaCQaoey-pJtZ_8b8M5ualXctBKS_srOmdiUBKworHwGiajcTuRLR9jj0nDsARt5l7w7bKjNrx8yzt2R5Gr37aYe5vg4HjLwsY
> p4s=&lang=sage&interacts=eJyLjgUAARUAuQ==

Andrey Novoseltsev

Mar 23, 2021, 11:31:46 AM3/23/21
to sage-cell
Changes in MathJax behaviour are likely due to the recent upgrade by Kwankyu, I've notified him of the issue and hopefully it can be resolved soon!

Jorge Garcia

Mar 23, 2021, 12:32:04 PM3/23/21
to David Farmer, sage-cell
Hi David,
Thanx for your testing my cell! It seems to be a problem only when I'm printing a string labeling output in one show() command. It happens sporadically with several of my class notes from earlier in the semester that had no issues before. I never know which cell will fail. Some work fine and some don't. I guess I could tell my students not to label output (even though I always tell them to do so) or use print() instead?
Stay safe,
Al

Jorge Garcia

Mar 23, 2021, 11:31:04 PM3/23/21
to sage-cell

ekwa...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 2:59:51 AM3/24/21
to sage-cell
Hi Andrey,

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 12:31:46 AM UTC+9 novo...@gmail.com wrote:
Changes in MathJax behaviour are likely due to the recent upgrade by Kwankyu, I've notified him of the issue and hopefully it can be resolved soon!

Did you? I didn't know..

Anyway, the example code above is working fine with my own server with the same recent upgrade.

I suspect that the problem is related with your recent action that stopped internet access from within cells. MathJax3 seems to fetch TeX extensions as needed while rendering math. So MathJax3 may have been prevented from behaving normally without the internet access.

Can you experiment it with internet access and without?

ekwa...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 3:04:30 AM3/24/21
to sage-cell
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 3:59:51 PM UTC+9 ekwa...@gmail.com wrote:
I suspect that the problem is related with your recent action that stopped internet access from within cells. MathJax3 seems to fetch TeX extensions as needed while rendering math. So MathJax3 may have been prevented from behaving normally without the internet access.

You didn't restrict internet access yet. Did you? If not, then it is strange..

ekwa...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 3:12:12 AM3/24/21
to sage-cell
Anyway, the example code above is working fine with my own server with the same recent upgrade.

Ok. I started to see the problem with my server as well. I don't know why It worked at first..

I will investigate.

ekwa...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 3:53:11 AM3/24/21
to sage-cell
On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 12:31:46 AM UTC+9 novo...@gmail.com wrote:
Changes in MathJax behaviour are likely due to the recent upgrade by Kwankyu, I've notified him of the issue and hopefully it can be resolved soon!

I uploaded a hot fix PR reverting to MathJax2 initialization.

Sorry for the inconveniences to all!

ekwa...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 5:28:31 AM3/24/21
to sage-cell
I closed the previous PR and uploaded a new PR, that I hope will fix the problem.

Jorge Garcia

Mar 24, 2021, 9:59:46 AM3/24/21
to sage-cell
And here's the same cell with show() commands instead of print(). As you can see, show() really does not play well with strings anymore and hates the character '#' interpreting it at the beginning of a macro.
I've been using sagecell a long time in my math classes and have never seen anything like this before. Take a look at all the permalinks in hte sidebar of my blog, http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com?m=0
TIA,
Al
https://sagecell.sagemath.org/?z=eJzFVl2T2iAUfd9fwUynExLZ1SSuM91KHzrTBx_8BZ3aQWUj0yRYkrXBX98LRE1i9nu3fVG4cA5w7uGSHVPY02RPFFEbSbYbQcoNL5nnX3wIr32Ew8lV6KNbka_RTqZ3GUdLeZev-RotNdpTvsDVQMMEqRBLUzSa0mpKU5ng2EcMQOGUahe49i-KjfyDvbcnht3e4opo_wD77Faqgx5xjXoDIi95oliKXZRUMDAL6VmYjIhb70AHkzwyC7s0s9ByzyLaCpGQuN0d4ZGBRzUcBI5GTofoAR2qQBNUUW3PXNHIdDUd2a6m44Okb0DltVUws0EHAtPOzt88ai-A6LNDzx6FgN7jI8ygGkrVjok7x-Op_AMnC4fFb1XChMtqEV3qReQswpZyxxH4GVX6cpuynKOPCGYMYMaUjkGML3QEGsDvUcf3XqijMj4xKmDzA7iH53I_AgDhoqfl6F60u_XnSXsBCTS3YhidcW0VMOBGXRm3NRY5dFVRIrkqWV467xrnRkE1iAM9mAR7SsOoW0VeSHOoGWTv00KmO447E2Dg--jHldoUuFVPDKCuKND0LxJXZBxHNZwM9HAMeIh14cmhHCV1OWomNoQiPDrRPimdHYy9QjX3WSbjHvxTiGwdnBz5YsMXn27muM4C_CVix3OE4R1ZRLR2_2C_iAiCZ4UytVrJAu-HMO4TZK1igpAkrIdQg-1NwhWF8aAQOQaQHxiIs6apVa0h0zgM7e2QmWyG2tuy5jB387wmRkHBVxYyNQT2qsJDAwH4EcOJ7dk1TP9gvPfg7pQFq-HxqPZpPvE1quSD7niMxL729rJOnmmX5zA3ikK_iTyv8RROfPRViSQpUKzW6NtalELmqDVubXaDFE_MUEPx2nJw9Y7NT-5xMwW-h2IrU6bQSkq1FjkreYFKiQqRbVNxa59K1fVfy3TwBaKmNO6YBNZhx4WMP26sQTJWFEje2na5gSIFz0TJTeQuF_CRk6E1zwtRanuBKHwarTmg3ckMyJ339N6_bpFeckhE1ucjKO8hifsymUEis1bnKsd-8wtn2bdNmfG8tDuFTahSMDSvbKbm-hXbP2nzDxcFzeZV3yPZ9Ip7Iu_REOAemVedrtNxrvupT7Z8mFobLt3pdlO06lFrBVpxZVSwnmK_mA0pKUyN_rlkimjz679Jvv7XDiB5lonO9TCrRXIBj9h_vy_o9NMOWB2Bup6jm8BW0AL_AqD0J1Q=&lang=sage&interacts=eJyLjgUAARUAuQ==

Jorge Garcia

Mar 24, 2021, 10:02:29 AM3/24/21
to sage-cell
OOPS, here's what it looks like on my Linux desktop!
Be wll,
AlHWK03Review.png

Jorge Garcia

Mar 24, 2021, 1:29:31 PM3/24/21
to sage-cell
Hi All,
Everything was working last week. Then, as I understand it, over the weekend 2 things happend:
1) MathJAX was upgraded
2) Internet access was blocked
So, I imagine that one or both of these actions caused the issue at hand.
Can this be fixed? My students are 'freaking out' as they put it.
Stay healthy,
Al

Jorge Garcia

Mar 24, 2021, 1:32:42 PM3/24/21
to sage-cell
BTW, here's my output without show().print.png

Andrey Novoseltsev

Mar 24, 2021, 8:03:41 PM3/24/21
to Jorge Garcia, sage-cell
This problem should be resolved now, please check.

Jorge Garcia

Mar 24, 2021, 8:14:01 PM3/24/21
to Andrey Novoseltsev, sage-cell
Thanks, Andrey! Much better now! What was the issue?
Be well,
Al