Broken Help Link

Ingo Dahn

Oct 28, 2020, 3:24:45 PM10/28/20
to sage-cell
SageCell's Help Link, shown after executing a sage cell, leads to a Broken-Code message, see. e.g.

Andrey Novoseltsev

Oct 28, 2020, 8:28:10 PM10/28/20
to sage-cell
So?.. It is a part of the quick help message, which is also shown on the root page under the cell, this is by design. Do you think it is time to remove this message? Also what has been the experience with SageCellDoctor - are there many reports and fixes?

Ingo Dahn

Oct 28, 2020, 11:49:05 PM10/28/20
to sage-cell
The SageCell Doctor Page lists 11 different problems and solutions/workarounds for 3 of them. There have been no additions over the last months. I planned to keep the page open until the end of the year, but - unless more solutions are provided - I wouldn't object to taking the link off the SageCell start pagen ow .

But the issue I was pointed to is a different one:

I am using SageCells in an educational context, in particular to support explanations with realistic examples. Code in my cells is usually small but it is benefitial for students if they understand the particular code. In this situation it would be better (for students, I think,) to access through the help link infos on the SageMath language, rather than on the SageCell system.

It would be even better if I could provide a specific help link for each cell to explain the particular code.

Andrey Novoseltsev

Oct 29, 2020, 12:12:14 PM10/29/20
to sage-cell
I think the current info is sensible and it is always reachable even if the cell with code is hidden. The cell may be configured for a different language as well. So if you would like something added to this help page - that is certainly an option, but restricting it to Sage specifics is not a good idea in my opinion. As far as personalized help page for your website or even for each cell - you surely have control over what is shown next to the cell, so I don't see much benefit in customizing the behaviour of this link...