Data files via Sage Cell

Rob Beezer

Mar 17, 2022, 10:05:39 PM3/17/22
to sage-cell
Dear Andrey,

I'm writing some documentation so that PreTeXt authors will better understand
the Sage Cell Server - specifically that "extra" packages must be installed at
the server and that getting at data files is limited. The hope is to reduce the
support burden for you and for me. ;-)

Question: which sites are on an allow-list for accessing files? I believe Alex
Jordan has been able to open files hosted at GitHub repositories via the URL for
"raw" files. Are there others? Is the list public? (e.g. Can I point to it
within a Sage Cell repo?)

Any extra insight you can provide would be helpful. Once. ;-)

Rob

Andrey Novoseltsev

Mar 17, 2022, 10:30:04 PM3/17/22
to sage-cell
Hi Rob,

The list is public, although not explicitly widely advertised, it is based on IP4 filtering:

So far it seems to work, but depending on how things go in the future, it is possible that the only viable solution would be to shut down internet access completely. So the authors should not use external data without necessity. Of course, one can always start their own server, e.g. one behind a campus firewall, and do whatever they want there regarding outgoing access.

Feel free to point to the above script and let me know if you have any other questions!
Andrey

Rob Beezer

Mar 17, 2022, 11:02:20 PM3/17/22
to sage...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Andrey! I just stumbled across that allow-list on the internet-shutdown
thread. Thanks for suggesting it is OK to point to.

Rob
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-cell/4e26b630-0e53-4edf-94c3-7c88754bbe1an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-cell/4e26b630-0e53-4edf-94c3-7c88754bbe1an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Rob Beezer

Mar 18, 2022, 12:04:10 AM3/18/22
to sage...@googlegroups.com
OK, for the record here's what I've added into the PreteXt documentation.
Holler if you think it needs any adjustment.

Subsection 4.19.1: Sage Cell Server Design
https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/topic-sage.html#sage-cell-design

As always - thanks for all your great work with the Sage Cell Server.

Rob