__SAGE_SYNCHRO_MARKER_ with Maxima

Ingo Dahn

Sep 27, 2021, 12:03:33 PM9/27/21
to sage-cell
Sagecell with language Maxima recognizes the % symbol but does not use it. Instead it prints it as  __SAGE_SYNCHRO_MARKER_... .
An example is here.

Andrey Novoseltsev

Sep 27, 2021, 12:08:38 PM9/27/21
to sage-cell
When I put % expression into the same cell, so that it is fed into Maxima as a single chunk of code, I get the same result. So I think this is how Sage handles it, nothing SageMathCell specific.

Ingo Dahn

Sep 27, 2021, 12:16:57 PM9/27/21
to sage-cell
In Maxima % refers to the result of the previous cell. The Read in the menu bar in the referenced page shows the intended behavior. Should I report this somewhere else?

Andrey Novoseltsev

Sep 27, 2021, 12:28:38 PM9/27/21
to sage-cell
How did you get the Read version? Is it Jupyter notebook with Maxima kernel, i.e. with no Sage involvement?

I do believe that the issue is with Sage pexpect interface since I get the same results evaluating
print(maxima.eval("""
144^25;
%^(1/25);
"""))
in Sage mode - this is equivalent to picking Maxima as the language.

Ingo Dahn

Sep 27, 2021, 3:15:16 PM9/27/21
to sage-cell
The Read version was generated from the ipynb from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/calyau/maxima-tutorial-notebooks/master/notebooks/First%20Steps%20with%20Maxima.ipynb and processed using a (slightly adapted) nbpreview (https://github.com/jsvine/nbpreview). It is a static HTML page generated directly from the ipynb, no Maxima or Sage involved.