Feature Preview: SafetyNet Attestation API Advice

SafetyNet API Clients Team

Aug 9, 2017, 8:17:32 AM8/9/17
to safetynet-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We have rolled out a new feature as part of the SafetyNet Attestation API that will provide developers advice during specific instances on what needs to be done to correct a failing attestation result. You may notice that some of our JWS responses now have an optional field named advice. The value of this field will be a list of comma separated string tokens, where each token represents an enum-like value.

We currently provide the following advice strings:
  • RESTORE_TO_FACTORY_ROM - The user should restore the device to a clean factory ROM.
  • LOCK_BOOTLOADER - The user should lock the device's bootloader.
Examples of field values that you may expect are:
{“advice”: “RESTORE_TO_FACTORY_ROM”}
or
{“advice”: “LOCK_BOOTLOADER,RESTORE_TO_FACTORY_ROM”}

This field isn’t present for every failing attestation result, however we plan to provide more values for this field based on the feedback we receive.

Please note that this feature has not yet been publicly documented. Presently, we’re only communicating it to this announcement-list to collect feedback.

We encourage you to use our feedback form based on your experience with this new feature.

Thanks & regards,
SafetyNet API Clients team