CP editorial on Route 70 accident and need for more safety measures

Roxane Shinn

Dec 23, 2009, 5:16:21 PM12/23/09
to Bob Esposito, Chris Onken, Dayla Fusco, Doris Carey, Fred Astmann, George Hickman, Greg Bruno, Helen Kushner, Jim Morris, Joyce Alexander Walker, Kalitan, Marlyn (Philadelphia), Mary Beth Neiman, Phil Guerrieri, Ramin Abbaszadeh, Rich Hoffmann, Roxane Shinn, Susanne Bromke, Theresa Mohrfeld, Tina Nugent, Walt Zahn, Yoli Lorenz, saf...@googlegroups.com
Courier Post Editorial

December 21, 2009

Additional safety measures needed

Crash that killed Air Force pilot should spur officials to study pedestrian safety.

Tragic is the only way to describe the death of Air Force Lt. Col. Mark C. Jennings of Cherry Hill. The 44-year-old Air Force veteran, who piloted an F-16 fighter jet in the Iraq war lost his life Monday not in battle, but while simply trimming a tree on his front lawn.

Jennings' front lawn happens to face busy Route 70 in the Erlton neighborhood, where homes and small businesses sit close to the fast-moving state highway.

Around 10 a.m. Monday, a 2006 Pontiac GTO driven by 41-year-old Stephen Moffa, also of Cherry Hill, went veering off of Route 70 at a high rate of speed, according to witnesses. Moffa's car slammed into a utility pole and into Jennings, who was thrown some 200 feet through the air. Moffa also was killed in the accident, which is still under investigation.

An accident like this ought to give officials pause. As random as it was in nature, there must be steps that can be taken to further protect residents and pedestrians along Route 70 and other major roads.

Just this week, Sustainable Cherry Hill, an organization that promotes clean energy and waste reduction in the township, formed a 10-person task force to look at traffic congestion in the township. They want to find ways to make Cherry Hill a safer place to walk and bike. They also want to find ways to get more cars off the road.

The panel must also look closely at safety measures, particularly where Cherry Hill's busiest roads, such as Route 70, Route 38, Haddonfield Road, Kings Highway, etc. are flanked by residences.

What caused Moffa to speed up and swerve off the road Monday may be something that a reduced speed limit or additional signage would never have prevented.

But most Erlton residents, particularly those who live right on Route 70, would surely agree that the dangerous stretch of Route 70 could somehow be safer and more pedestrian friendly. Residents elsewhere in the township who live along major roads probably feel the same way.

Cherry Hill is one of the most congested communities in South Jersey. It is also one of the most populous. The township should continually be looking for new ways to safeguard residents, particularly kids, from all the traffic.

helen kushner

Dec 23, 2009, 9:55:27 PM12/23/09
to Roxane Shinn, Bob Esposito, Chris Onken, Dayla Fusco, Doris Carey, Fred Astmann, George Hickman, Greg Bruno, Jim Morris, Joyce Alexander Walker, Kalitan, Marlyn (Philadelphia), Mary Beth Neiman, Phil Guerrieri, Ramin Abbaszadeh, Rich Hoffmann, Roxane Shinn, Susanne Bromke, Theresa Mohrfeld, Tina Nugent, Walt Zahn, Yoli Lorenz, saf...@googlegroups.com
Why a new 'task force'l?  did the Route 70 Safety group disband?  are the  two groups merging?

Ramin Abbaszadeh

Dec 23, 2009, 10:04:24 PM12/23/09
to helen kushner, Roxane Shinn, Bob Esposito, Chris Onken, Dayla Fusco, Doris Carey, Fred Astmann, George Hickman, Greg Bruno, Jim Morris, Joyce Alexander Walker, Kalitan, Marlyn (Philadelphia), Mary Beth Neiman, Phil Guerrieri, Rich Hoffmann, Roxane Shinn, Susanne Bromke, Theresa Mohrfeld, Tina Nugent, Walt Zahn, Yoli Lorenz, saf...@googlegroups.com
Great question Helen. The old saying "how many task force will take to create a safer Rt 70?

Sent from my iPhone

Jim Morris

Dec 24, 2009, 8:35:51 AM12/24/09
to philguerrierisr, Ramin Abbaszadeh, helen kushner, Roxane Shinn, Bob Esposito, Chris Onken, Dayla Fusco, Doris Carey, Fred Astmann, George Hickman, Greg Bruno, Joyce Alexander Walker, Kalitan, Marlyn (Philadelphia), Mary Beth Neiman, Rich Hoffmann, Roxane Shinn, Susanne Bromke, Theresa Mohrfeld, Tina Nugent, Walt Zahn, Yoli Lorenz, saf...@googlegroups.com

Phil,

I understand everyone’s concern with safety and agree that is one of the important issues regarding Rt. 70. But I think there is absolutely no possibility you will get the speed limit reduced and enforced to 35 mph. It would create more traffic congestion and almost nobody would want to drive at 35 mph on Rt. 70. The only thing it would do is result in many more speeding tickets. I doubt if you could find anywhere in the state with a 4 lane highway with a 35 mph speed limit. I think you should drop that proposal and work on your other ideas that are more achievable.

Jim

Dec 24, 2009, 8:45:54 AM12/24/09
to helen kushner, Roxane Shinn, Bob Esposito, Chris Onken, Dayla Fusco, Doris Carey, Fred Astmann, George Hickman, Greg Bruno, Jim Morris, Joyce Alexander Walker, Marlyn Kalitan (Philadelphia), Mary Beth Neiman, Phil Guerrieri, Ramin Abbaszadeh, Rich Hoffmann, Roxane Shinn, Susanne Bromke, Theresa Mohrfeld, Walt Zahn, Yoli Lorenz, saf...@googlegroups.com
Good morning and happy holidays to all!

I live in Wexford Leas, one brother lives in Erlton and another brother lives in Siena off Springdale Road.  We grew up in the first house off 70 in Wexford, when 70 was pretty much a country road and there were no lights along Springdale. Cherry Hill has changed dramatically since we moved here (a half century ago--ugh!) and not all of the changes have benefitted Township residents.

Speeding and the simple volume of traffic are what I think are critical issues.  Anybody who lives near the Rt. 70 corridor is affected by this traffic and the problems include noise and pollution.  Unfortunately for some neighborhoods, there is no buffer between the homes and the highway.  Erlton has it particularly bad.  Wexford is affected too.

I am amazed to hear people involved in our local government advocate for bigger highways and greater accessibility for visitors to our town.  I drive up and down Rt. 70 ten times a day and frankly, I don't care if somebody shopping at Wegman's from Shamong takes ten minutes extra to get home.  And isn't the purpose of a bigger Route 70 to benefit visitors to our town?  We all know, or at least suspect, what the motivations are with these positions and, again, they are not intended for the benefit of Cherry Hill residents.

I have been tangentially involved in your group and I do not know whether you have meetings.  If you do not, can I propose that we schedule a meeting to see where we are in terms of knowledge, etc.?  It seems that with the changes at the Marlton Circle, bigger changes are anticipated for Cherry Hill. I, for one, intend to fight this.

If you have been meeting, would you kindly fill me in on where you are in terms of these issues?

Thank you to all of you, Roxane, Phil, Bob, and the many others who advocate for Cherry Hill residents.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated by many of us.

Tina Nugent

Ramin Abbaszadeh

Dec 24, 2009, 9:15:45 AM12/24/09
to Jim Morris, philguerrierisr, helen kushner, Roxane Shinn, Bob Esposito, Chris Onken, Dayla Fusco, Doris Carey, Fred Astmann, George Hickman, Greg Bruno, Joyce Alexander Walker, Kalitan, Marlyn (Philadelphia), Mary Beth Neiman, Rich Hoffmann, Roxane Shinn, Susanne Bromke, Theresa Mohrfeld, Tina Nugent, Walt Zahn, Yoli Lorenz, saf...@googlegroups.com

Jim and all:

If I am not mistaken, Kings Highway is a state highway with varying speeds. In Haddonfield and Moorestown, though not four lane, the speed limit is 25 miles per hour. I think what it matters is not the number of lanes rather than the use of the road. Similar to Haddonfield and Moorestown, Erlton and Barclay area is comprised of small retail, offices and residential property as well as churches and nearby schools. This condition generates a lot of pedestrian use, unlike Rt 38, 130 or portion of the 70 between Pennsauken and Grove Street or east of I-295.  In many town, when I travel along a state road, when the road comes to a town the speed limit drops to 35 or 25. So I do not understand why that could not be an option here!

All along this town has been faced with only two choices:

1-      Reduce speed and other safety regulations in certain area of Rt 70 like Erlton, Barclay and others

2-      Make the 9 + miles stretch of the Rt 70 through cherry hill six lanes, put barrier and do away with residential and small retails along Erlton and Barclay

We know what the second option will do to this town. It is like driving a copper nail into the root of a tree. We only have to look at the towns along 130, 38  for example.

Ramin

helen kushner

Dec 24, 2009, 3:40:54 PM12/24/09
to philguerrierisr, Jim Morris, Ramin Abbaszadeh, Roxane Shinn, Bob Esposito, Chris Onken, Dayla Fusco, Doris Carey, Fred Astmann, George Hickman, Greg Bruno, Joyce Alexander Walker, Kalitan, Marlyn (Philadelphia), Mary Beth Neiman, Rich Hoffmann, Roxane Shinn, Susanne Bromke, Theresa Mohrfeld, Tina Nugent, Walt Zahn, Yoli Lorenz, saf...@googlegroups.com
well stated, Phil.  We have "speed reminder signs"  for auto traffic on Covered Bridge Road in Barclay.  It is a major route from Kresson Rd. to Rt. 70.  It is also a route right through a residential district!  And so is Rt. 70!  this madness to get from one place to another in a matter of minutes, together with disregard of both speed and civility, requires either a very substantial toll gate, or very clear signage and policing, as the world enters Cherry Hill to make its way through Erlton and the rest of our development, both residential and business.   Helen
Dec 24, 2009, 8:14:23 PM12/24/09
to helen kushner, philguerrierisr, Ramin Abbaszadeh, Roxane Shinn, Bob Esposito, Chris Onken, Dayla Fusco, Doris Carey, Fred Astmann, George Hickman, Greg Bruno, Joyce Alexander Walker, Kalitan, Marlyn (Philadelphia), Mary Beth Neiman, Rich Hoffmann, Roxane Shinn, Susanne Bromke, Theresa Mohrfeld, Tina Nugent, Walt Zahn, Yoli Lorenz, saf...@googlegroups.com

This is Christmas Eve and unfortunately I may be annoying some of you again but the state is spending 63 million to remove the Marlton Circle and had previously spent millions to remove the Ellisburg Circle, partly to improve the traffic flow and congestion on Rt. 70. So it probably doesn’t matter if any of us disagree or what speed limit we want. After spending all that money to improve the traffic flow and safety it is my opinion that the state will never agree to reduce the speed limit to 35 mph. I think it is more likely they will want to widen Rt. 70, something none of us seem to want. Of course, I have no inside information, so I could be wrong. I just think you are fighting a losing battle trying to reduce the speed limit to 35 mph and you would have better success working on your other ideas that are probably more achievable. Kings Highway is also 45 mph. Is that next?

Jim

Jim Morris

Dec 25, 2009, 7:54:58 AM12/25/09
to Greg Bruno, Ramin Abbaszadeh, philguerrierisr, helen kushner, Roxane Shinn, Bob Esposito, Chris Onken, Dayla Fusco, Doris Carey, Fred Astmann, George Hickman, Joyce Alexander Walker, Kalitan, Marlyn (Philadelphia), Mary Beth Neiman, Rich Hoffmann, Roxane Shinn, Susanne Bromke, Theresa Mohrfeld, Tina Nugent, Walt Zahn, Yoli Lorenz, saf...@googlegroups.com

Greg,

I like your idea. I don’t like all the traffic on Rt. 70 anymore than anyone else. Your idea would help reduce the traffic rather than making it worse by changing the speed limit. And it would improve safety, something everyone wants. If we reduce the speed limit we might as well forget about using the new cut-throughs that were recently constructed. You can barely use them now because of all the traffic coming the other way. With slower speeds and more gridlock they will soon become worthless. I would get behind your idea if the committees wanted to make that part of the proposal.

If we reduce the speed limit to 35 mph gridlock will get worse. Some people have replied that they don’t care but they will if it helps the following to happen.

If something like your idea is not done eventually the state will demand they widen Rt. 70 and perhaps even make it semi limited access, cutting Cherry Hill in half and destroying the neighborhoods such as Erlton and Barclay.

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

Jim

Dec 29, 2009, 6:46:33 PM12/29/09
to hbku...@comcast.net, chre...@gmail.com, WARN...@aol.com, conke...@msn.com, Dayla...@msn.com, car...@verizon.net, njal...@verizon.net, gfha...@comcast.net, gab...@verizon.net, jmr...@verizon.net, joycea...@att.net, marlyn....@right.com, mbne...@comcast.net, phi...@integratedmechanicalservices.com, ram...@greyfox.biz, rhof...@comcast.net, susanne...@verizon.net, mohrfel...@msn.com, nugent...@comcast.net, WALT...@msn.com, ylo...@gmail.com, saf...@googlegroups.com
The editorial is useful in that it links the fatality to the need to do something about speeding and safety.

The Way to Go Committee is a subcomittee of Sustainable Cherry Hill, an organization that is promoted and sponsored by the Township, but that has nominal independence.

We aren't "looking at  traffic congestion in the township" but are trying to find ways to make Cherry Hill a safer place to walk and bike and how to get more cars off the road.

We have asked the Township for 5 years of data on pedestrian and bicycle accidents to see if there are any patterns or priorities that need to be addressed.

I've advised the committee about the Safer Route 70 Report and our committee as well as numerous other studies and resources.  Hopefully they won't try to reinvent the wheel and will be willing to call for significant action rather than just passive, educational measures.

But the Committee has a few prominent people who do not regularly attend committee meetings and who have not actively supported our efforts. So there is no way of knowing what the committee's final recommendations will be.

We should reactivate our Safer Route 70 Committee and find out whether NJDOT or Cherry Hill have implemented any of our numerous safety measures, particularly along Cherry Hill's busiest roads, such as Route 70, and if not, why not.  We should try to press the Way to Go Committee to adopt many if not all of our Safer Route 70 committee recommendations that also advance their goals and objectives and try to make them allies in our efforts.

Happy New Year.

Roxane