Help preserve Camden County's riparian buffers

rcsh...@aol.com

Sep 22, 2010, 1:02:21 PM9/22/10
to csh...@attglobal.net, mgel...@hotmail.com, budk...@verizon.net, nhor...@hotmail.com, Corbett....@epamail.epa.gov, Fer...@comcast.net, michael...@shawgrp.com, lewis_...@fws.gov, timh...@yahoo.com, iacono...@epa.gov, sene...@njtown.net, we...@iopener.net, in...@safetymgconsultants.com, SPol...@chtownship.com, bpl...@chtownship.com, JAm...@chtownship.com, nsa...@chtownship.com, slip...@chtownship.com, DGarb...@chtownship.com, dbene...@chtownship.com, dfle...@chtownship.com, smus...@chtownship.com, jwio...@chtownship.com, lori.br...@sustainablecherryhill.org, yaron....@gmail.com, scol...@yahoo.com, saf...@googlegroups.com, ruthie...@aol.com, sssli...@aol.com, sdav...@comcast.net, shelle...@msn.com, nhost...@chtownship.com, rucr...@aol.com, worker...@yahoo.com, rbl...@comcast.net, berg...@yahoo.com, emwi...@hotmail.com, mkuk...@chtownship.com, mi...@keswickcycle.com, eco...@computer.org, g...@parsupply.com, iburk...@comcast.net, jke...@chtownship.com, db...@comcast.net, daven...@gmail.com, cmma...@drpa.org, bigc...@hotmail.com, brooke...@gmail.com, wsilv...@comcast.net, dreamcui...@verizon.net, b...@blueskypowerllc.com, ba...@verizon.net, chre...@gmail.com

Good morning environmental protection advocates and elected officials,

We need your help to protect the water quality of Camden County's Cooper River, Newton Creek and the rest of the creeks, streams and rivers that flow through our communities.  These waterways are already "impaired waterways" due to the non-point source pollution from our rooftops, lawns, streets and parking lots.  They are already not in the greatest shape in terms of ecological health.

Now, Camden County is being pressed to reduce or even eliminate the natural plant growth (a/k/a No Mow Zones or riparian buffers) along the waterfronts that help protect these impaired waterways.   The County created these riparian "No Mow" areas because they:

 1) protect  water quality by filtering pollution (nutrient-rich goose poop, dog waste, trash, etc) before it gets into the water.  Keeping that pollution out help reduce algal blooms and fish kills.

 2) provide wildlife habitat for wading and song birds, beneficial insects like pollinators and more and aquatic habitat for better fishing.

 3) reduce (doesn't eliminate) flooding because those plants "drink" more rainwater reducing how much flow into the waterway and cause downstream flooding.

 4) it's the law - NJ has stormwater and riparian buffer regulations because all of the above protect the public health and safety and better protect our waterways.

But, not everyone likes the more naturalized look of a No Mowing - riparian buffer.   Some folks in Camden County are passing around a petition to have the County cut it down so they can see the river or creek.  There are areas were one can see the waterway, but not from everywhere -- say from your living room or driving down the street.

These riparian buffers are important.  You can't have healthy waterways if you maintain the surrounding land like a golf course.  We need to let Camden County Parks know that there are many citizens that support the maintenance of riparian buffers and that the private interests of a few ought not to trump the general public welfare and needed environmental protection for these important environmental resources .

Please take a moment to call and/or send along the letter below that petitions Caren Fishman, Director of Camden County Parks, and Freeholder Jeffrey Nash who oversees Parks issues to protect riparian buffers.    Feel free to add any personal comments and cut and paste into a new email below or feel free to write your own comments.

PLEASE spread the word and forward to any contacts you have.

If you have any questions or comments about the importance of this initiative, please contact Fred Stine, Citizen Action Coordinator, Delaware Riverkeeper Network, 300 Pond Street - Second Floor, Bristol, PA 19007, Main office (215) 369-1188 ext. 113, Cell (856) 816-8021, fax-(215) 369-1181, web-delawareriverkeeper.org.

Thank you.   Roxane Shinn, Co-Director, Cooper River Watershed Association

Send To:

Camden County Parks Department
Caren Fishman, Director
1301 Park Blvd.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey 08002-3752

Camden County Freeholder Jeffrey L. Nash
520 Market Street 8th Floor
Camden,NJ 08102

Subject: Petition:Preserve Riparian Buffers

 Camden County Must Preserve Riparian Buffers

I support Camden County’s efforts to maintain and protect essential riparian buffers next to watercourses within the Camden County Parks system in order to comply with NJ state regulations. Riparian buffers filter pollutants, control erosion, and protect water quality. Riparian buffers recharge aquifers, prevent flooding, and minimize the need for frequent dredging which provides a cost savings to taxpayers. Riparian buffers also provide habitat for our wildlife, which adds to the enjoyment of visitors who frequent the parks.

I urge the Freeholders and the Camden County Parks department to maintain the “no mow zones” around park watercourses. Camden County must uphold the laws of nature as well as the laws of the state and take every measure to ensure that critical riparian buffers are protected.

[Your Name/ Address]