Elevated Radiation in Missouri

Thomas Peterson

Nov 25, 2023, 8:03:20 PM11/25/23
to Safecast Discussion Group
https://map.safecast.org/?y=39.902&x=-94.149&z=11&l=0&m=0

Location is northwestern Missouri on Interstate 35.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

jan.he...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2023, 3:47:33 AM11/30/23
to Safecast Discussion Group
Hi,
nobody replied yet so at least I try... I looked on the data:

and looks like it is not measured with Safecast bGeigie detector but some other device so I cannot get any additional information for it.

in addition - if you check this part:

there seems to be another higher value from the same guy but nearby measurement has nothing abnormal:

There might be several possibilities...

1) the device showing high values has small detector (thus also bigger distance between measured points) - small detector usually means lower sensitivity and in normal radiation levels too few impulses per measuring interval resulting in greater inaccuracy of dose rate calculation.

2) the device is incorrectly set / faulty

3) there is higher dose rate because of natural radiation (bedrock) or road backfill...
few examples - nothing dangerous here:

the best way would be to have a ride there with the bGeigie and check the data.

regards

Jan

az...@safecast.org

Dec 6, 2023, 1:54:06 AM12/6/23
to Safecast Discussion Group
Thomas: Thank you for pointing this out.   Jan: Thank you for commenting.

This user seems to have managed to upload data from a non-Safecast device using our app, bypassing the moderation process. This data is certainly erroneous. There's a fairly time-consuming "last resort" process for removing those kinds of data points, which I did earlier this year. Obviously I didn't find them all.

Chers,
Azby