Safecast API implementation for CzechRad

jan.he...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2024, 10:13:54 AMApr 16
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear colleagues,
we are currently in the process of completing another set of one hundred CzechRad devices and we also finished their calibration in our laboratory. Total amount of produced devices is intended to be 1300 pieces.

CzechRad has - despite the same sensor like bGeigie Nano - slightly different sensitivity. Our technician said that it would probably be due to the better stability of the high voltage source used.

Our data format:

# NEW LOG
# format=2.0.0CzechRad
# deadtime=on
$CZRA1,0001,2024-01-06T14:35:09Z,51,4,1047,A,6038.1714,N,02452.1116,E,127.66,A,20,65*27
$CZRA1,0001,2024-01-06T14:35:14Z,58,8,1055,A,6038.1685,N,02452.1069,E,128.45,A,18,76*2A
$CZRA1,0001,2024-01-06T14:35:19Z,55,3,1058,A,6038.1650,N,02452.1028,E,128.9,A,17,78*18
$CZRA1,0001,2024-01-06T14:35:24Z,56,3,1061,A,6038.1621,N,02452.0989,E,130.28,A,17,69*20
$CZRA1,0001,2024-01-06T14:35:29Z,49,0,1061,A,6038.1592,N,02452.0947,E,132.01,A,20,64*29
$CZRA1,0001,2024-01-06T14:35:34Z,47,3,1064,A,6038.1567,N,02452.0898,E,133.56,A,20,68*2B

While for bGeigie you use this this conversion factor:
0.0029940119760479
(CPM * 1/334)

For CzechRad we would need:
0.0030441400304414
(CPM * 1/328,5)

CzechRad can be easily distinguished from bGeigie based on the presence of "$CZRA1" string in the LOG data. Currently we always use "CZRA1" although there are some ideas for future to use "CZR" + some other 2 characters e.g. "CZRB2" to distinguish some upgraded series...

The Safecast API can handle CzechRad data without problems (no matter which CZR** variant we used for testing):

but the dose rate calculation with the bGeigie conversion factor gives different values and might result in different display on the map.

Would it be possible to implement differenc ocnversion factor for CzechRad data?

thank you in advance

sincerely

Jan

robouden

Apr 16, 2024, 11:06:55 AMApr 16
to Safecast Discussion Group
Jan,

Technically, it is possible to implement different conversion factor for CzechRad data.
Only problem is that we currently do not have the man power to implement it.

BTW. I tried to find the source code to see how the data was generated, but I could not.
Is the source code closed and not Open Source?

Regards
Rob Oudendijk
for the latest on the bGeigiezen(followup for the bGeigieNano) https://bgeigiezen.safecast.jp/news-updates/

jan.he...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2024, 11:36:24 AMApr 16
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear Rob,

BTW. I tried to find the source code to see how the data was generated, but I could not.
Is the source code closed and not Open Source?

What code do you mean? The structure of the data from Czechrad is same as for bGeigie Nano and the conversion factor was calculated on results from our laboratory using certified equipment and procedures - see https://www.suro.cz/en/suro/vybaveni for details.

The difference is in the raw 5-second pulse counts compared to bGeigie Nano. I will have a look tomorrow - I should somewhere have some field data measured with both devices carried by the same person and I could possibly measure some data with Cs-137 source and both devices - to have them both in the same distance and just move them toward the source so you might also have few microSv/h dose rate values in the data... (not in a lab, just for some rough comparison)

If you are tlaking about licensing of the CzechRad firmware then it was not yet released and we must have some talks as there might be some formal requiremements related to the funding of the project. Plus, there are going to be several upgrades during the project (new features so nothing to influence the resulting LOG data).

Jan

Rob Oudendijk

Apr 16, 2024, 11:16:29 PMApr 16
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
Jan,

Yes, I was looking for the source code of the firmware.

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk Yuka Hayashi
tel +81 80-22605966  Skype: robouden  Facebook:robouden linkedin:robouden

jan.he...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2024, 4:52:47 AMApr 30
to Safecast Discussion Group
OK,
is it possible for you to reprocess the uploaded measurements from CzechRad later in the API? (as the Tile map does not work yet it should not ) Currently there are more than 300 units finished and 1000 more on the way in next 12-18 months. Until now I only uploaded but not submitted some samples like this one:

but there will be many measurements as the devices are going to be distributed soon. I am also considering creating separate upload account linked to our email czechrad ( a t ) suro.cz but if I upload the LOG files without submitting them I will be getting notification every day and it might also somehow bother the Safecast administrators.

regards

Jan

robouden

Apr 30, 2024, 5:34:03 AMApr 30
to Safecast Discussion Group
Jan,

I checked and approved your upload. You can always see your upload if you know the log ID.

Regards
Rob

jan.he...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2024, 11:45:54 AMApr 30
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear Rob,
I know that - with our about 50-60 bGeigies I use that on a regular basis as I am sending them links to their LOGs (using filters based on particular user name). My question was rather about the slightly different dose rate conversion for CzechRad - I said you currently have no time and people to implement the use of different conversion factor for CzechRads. So my question was rather whether we can submit CzechRad data - which API processes as bGeigie e.g. there will be some difference in dose rate values and if it is possible to later fix this (in the DB or else) so the Safecast Map does not get those different values for the map tiles.

regards

Jan

Rob Oudendijk

Apr 30, 2024, 11:49:34 AMApr 30
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
Jan,

Thanks for the expiation.
Technically, it is possible to change that later.

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk Yuka Hayashi
tel +81 80-22605966  Skype: robouden  Facebook:robouden linkedin:robouden

jan.he...@gmail.com

May 8, 2024, 4:59:15 PMMay 8
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear Rob,
thanks for your reply. I just started CzechRad uploads from a separate account:

while I am going to keep uploading the bGeigie data using the old account. That might give you much more possibilities to filter / recalculate the data in future.
We are currently having 1-day workshops in schools (students have about one hour for field measurements with our 10 CzechRads) so there will be more data in future.

regards

Jan

Rob Oudendijk

May 8, 2024, 7:26:43 PMMay 8
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
Jan,

Thanks for informing me.
I wish you good luck with the  1-day workshops .

Hugs and peace,
Rob