Is this project still active?

Zac Harvey

Mar 31, 2022, 12:52:37 PM3/31/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
Hi,

I found safecast.org when searching for networks of radiation monitors and based on the website, it looks like Safecast is exactly what I was looking for!

I would like to look into purchasing one of the devices since my area doesn't have any coverage on the map, and so several weeks ago I filled out the Contact form and made an inquiry.

I still haven't heard back from anyone with Safecast, and it doesnt look like there's been any activity in the mailing list for quite sometime. Although I do see recent activity on GitHub (I'm a software engineer and would also be interesting in contributing).

Just looking to verify Safecast is still active, whether or not these mailing lists are the right place for collaboration, and how to get my hands on a device so that I can join the network.

Thanks for any info!
Zac

Dan Thaler

Apr 20, 2022, 7:00:03 AM4/20/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
HI Zac,
Safecast is still very active. Unfortunately, the Bgiegie nano kits are not available anymore. There is another unit under development. It's called the Radnote and will be similar to the Airnote. https://blues.io/products/airnote/
Someone else in the organization may be able to provide more details.

Dan

Scott K

Jul 29, 2022, 2:22:59 PM7/29/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
I'm aware of 1-3 devices under development by Safecast and/or affiliates, in addition to Czechrad.

Solarcast Nano was announced on the main Safecast site at the end of 2017 https://safecast.org/2017/12/introducing-the-solarcast-nano but haven't heard updates since (probably the optimal device for leave and forget real-time monitoring) and unfortunately there are no entries in its Github repository since then https://github.com/Safecast/SolarcastNano .
Radnote, a radiation sensing model of air quality (particulate matter/PM) monitoring device Airnote, by Safecast partner Blues Wireless, seems to be in beta testing.
bGeigieZen announced in April '22 https://bgeigiezen.safecast.jp/ and under development for a few years per GitHub https://github.com/Safecast/bGeigieZen seems to be newest design of their workhorse bGeigie series that's suitable for real-time monitoring and especially for survey/mapping.

There are references in Github and some devices reporting in the dataset https://safecast.jp/devices-data/ , so I know at least that these devices aren't completely dead but I have no info on whether they're actually coming to fruition or a time frame.

Czechrad https://github.com/juhele/CzechRad is based on Safecast designs with apparently similar robustness and reports increased sensitivity but only measures gamma which may be limiting for some users. They also source some parts from Russia and I don't know how this impacts them.

jan.he...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2022, 2:54:17 PM7/29/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear Scott,
the CzechRad is in active development and I had opportunity to have the prototype in the field:

It was expected to be already in the manufacturing process but first COVID, then the chip shortage etc. caused huge delay and we are still missing some components (or some part of the needed amount) to be able to start the production.

In addition, for obvious reasons we could not use the originally planned Russian GM tube and a new tender had to be issued. This is possibly good news for users as it looks like the same type of tube will be used as in the bGeigie Nano. Unfortunately, this means the need to modify the electronics, which is currently underway and being tested. For users, it could also mean the possibility to use the Pelican box and the tube from a non-functional or damaged bGeigie Nano if the tube itself is OK...

Hope to be able to provide some updates soon...

regards

Jan

Peter Benjamin

Jul 29, 2022, 3:02:12 PM7/29/22
to safecas...@googlegroups.com

I will be buying the next available design. I had
to buy a different detector off of Amazon a month
back, when it was posted and confirmed that none
were available.

I post now to ask about the spectrum analyzer
model that was on the drawing boards many years
ago. Is this project still alive? I need such,
and would very much like to support Safecast by
buying it. In a few months, I will buy one, as
the need is apparent for the 'next' week to use it
right away. Not there yet.

Peter

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Sep 8, 2022, 10:37:52 AM9/8/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
So I recently got a SBM-20 based Geiger counter with pulse output from here: https://www.tindie.com/products/iotdev/ggreg20_v3-ionizing-radiation-geiger-counter/ , hooked it up to a microcontroller and I'm getting consistent counts data (at a rate of unsurprising ca 20 cpm) . The supplier is in Ukraine, and shipping from there was, surprisingly, no problem. I guess since the SBM-20 is a legacy Soviet product, not a modern Russian product, sourcing it from Ukraine isn't even problematic under current sanctions.

I plan to use this as a stationary, indoor (behind a roof window) instrument in Northern Germany, not driving around with it. I was wondering whether Safecast is at all interested in getting data from this type of installation?

Thanks in advance
HBE

Peter Benjamin

Sep 8, 2022, 6:17:20 PM9/8/22
On Thu, 2022-09-08 at 07:37 -0700, 'Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein' via Safecast Discussion Group wrote:
So I recently got a SBM-20 based Geiger counter with pulse output from here: https://www.tindie.com/products/iotdev/ggreg20_v3-ionizing-radiation-geiger-counter/ ,

Lucky me, I got the last one in stock just now. Thanks for the Post!! I want to buy more at this price.

I still need a spectrum analyzer for soft to hard xrays and gamma rays. Any recommendations?

Peter

Louis Bertrand

Sep 11, 2022, 8:47:20 PM9/11/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
Hello,
I'm curious to hear why the existing bGeigie Nano radiation sensor combination cannot be used, i.e. Medcom iRover and LND-7317.
Thanks
 --Louis

jan.he...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2022, 3:22:53 AM9/12/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear Louis,
if your question was related to CzechRad, then I can now tell you the LND-7317 sensor will be used. The iRoveris different question - it is proprietary solution from one company and not available from free market. Even Safecast is apparently working on own alternative and CzechRad uses standard HV power supply module for this purpose.

regards

Jan

jan.he...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2022, 3:30:18 AM9/12/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear Peter,
if you are looking for affordable pocket gamma spectrometer I know about two possibilities:

RadiaCode 101 (Russia), now shipping from EU

RAYSID (Poland)

We bought two RadiaCode units in second half of 2021 and to be honest - the device is quite good for the price. You can try the mobile app without the device:

for the dose rate mode there is demo option and you can also import and view spectra measured by other users - you can get ours from here:

regards

Jan

Louis Bertrand

Sep 27, 2022, 5:42:43 AM9/27/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
Hello Jan,
Following up (a bit late, sorry) on your reply, may I ask if an open source hardware replacement for the iRover (high voltage supply and detector output module) would be helpful?
I'm an electronics engineer looking to work on a project, and I'm disturbed by the reports of shelling near nuclear power plants in Ukraine.
To all, who should I contact to work out the specs for such a module? I have one in my bGeigie, if that helps.
I'm also going to post something on the Safecast hardware group.
All the best
 --Louis

jan.he...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2022, 6:06:51 AM9/27/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear Louis,
it is called "SafePulse" and it is being developed by Safecast - they have some documentation here:

In CzechRad we are using EMCO / XP Power module - some photos here but because of the change from the Russian GM tube to LND (same as in bGeigie) there were some minor changes as I know (but the HV module remains the same):
(I was also promised to get some updates about CzechRad in next few weeks)

regards

Jan

Louis Bertrand

Sep 28, 2022, 8:59:44 PM9/28/22
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,
I just had a look at the GitHub page. It's quite a nice design. The I2C counter is a nice addition. The CzechRad looks promising too.
So may I change my question... How may I help?
Thanks
 --Louis

jan.he...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2022, 6:39:19 AM11/10/22
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear Louis,
CzechRad is finally almost ready for the production - check the photos of pre-production sample unit in this album:

However you can contact Safecast directly for your possible involvement in development of their devices etc.

regards

Jan

PS: sorry for delayed reply but I feel overloaded with work in recent months :-(

Lugul banda (Lugulbanda)

Jun 2, 2023, 9:29:01 PM6/2/23
to Safecast Discussion Group
i would love to hear about the stationary safecast solar, waiting since years to set up one in my home for stationary data updates...