Want to volunteer!

Samira Stivan

Mar 7, 2021, 5:27:44 AM3/7/21
to Safecast Discussion Group
Hello everyone!

My name is Samira and I live in Italy.

I stumbled upon SafeCast while listening to a podcast about it in the LoraWAN Academy, and I have since then been getting increasingly interested in this project. I have taken some time to learn more about the actual work that SafeCast does to create the datasets, and I would be thrilled to contribute in any way I can!

About me: I have recently graduated with a degree in electronics engineering, but I have been working as a full-time data scientist for about a year now. I would say I am an intermediate python programmer. I am also familiar with SQL and I have used Spark on Hadoop clusters before for big data wrangling/analysis. I don't know any Ruby or RoR, but I guess I could pick it up fairly quickly coming from Python (?). I also have some (basic) experience with hardware/embedded systems design and GIS analysis if that could come in handy.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with!

Thank you,

Samira

Jam

Mar 8, 2021, 9:25:25 AM3/8/21
to Safecast Discussion Group
Samira -

Help is always welcome and there are many ways to contribute.  Right now, everyone is very busy preparing for the tenth anniversary event:

You might want to join in as it would be a good way to get up-to-date and connect with other volunteers.

Sorry for being so brief here, I’m just packing up and getting ready to head to Fukushima in a few hours for my part of the event.

- jam

Chase Emery

Mar 8, 2021, 9:47:50 PM3/8/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure how I was subscribed to safecast, must've been accidental, but I've been always wanting to contribute with measurements and data of my local surroundings to safecast aswell.

I'm a hobbyist studying radiation/radiology. And I have several counters, with one being wifi compatible, where I can hook up to a mobile hotspot and have portable measurements.

My counter specifications;
LND-7317 Pancake Alpha/beta/Gamma/Xray sensor GMC-600+
M4011 "Hot-dog" Tube, Beta/Gamme/Xray sensor GMC-300E

I also have some air quality sensors coming aswell, please let me know if you guys are interested in collecting my station monitoring data! Aswell with the portable station idea I said above, I can set up several 24/7 stations. Would I be able to volunteer some of my data measurements?

Thanks,

Chase.

Idaho Loraxx

Mar 9, 2021, 10:33:12 PM3/9/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com

Chase Emery

Mar 10, 2021, 12:21:19 AM3/10/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Idaho Loraxx, I've messaged your main facebook page. Unfortunately due to tight funds and covid, I do not see myself being able to reach idaho from arizona currently!

Feel free to contact me on my personal email anytime Idaho Loraxx! I'll be passing on the word about pocatello or "radioactive city" to other science communicators that I know of though for sure, that are in the area around idaho!
However, I wish to remain in contact with you, to help anyway I can for data.

Definitely stay in contact!

Sincerely,

Chase

Mat Schaffer

Mar 10, 2021, 9:08:15 AM3/10/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samira!

I'd love to get someone working with our data sets in spark (especially with geospark). I've played with it myself but don't have much of a background in it so maybe you could help show us a few things.

It'd be amazing to have the data available in public s3 buckets with ready-to-use big data tools (spark, emr, maybe athena).

https://github.com/Safecast/safecastapi/wiki/Onboarding is the doc that covers most of the setup of the main app (api). I'd guess for spark/gis, the stuff on https://github.com/Safecast/safecastapi/wiki/Data-Sets#raw-s3-export might be interesting for you as well.

Happy to give you a login to our ingest postgis or elasticsearch. The only thing missing in those data stores is the bgeigie log data, but I'm working on getting that into elasticsearch (#735) for starters.

Have a look and reach out with any questions!

Samira Stivan

Mar 14, 2021, 4:57:25 PM3/14/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com, m...@schaffer.me, joe.m...@gmail.com
Hello everyone,

@jam, thank you for the quick reply! I did subscribe to the event and I am currently watching some of the sessions that I've missed. Thank you for reminding me about the event.

@mat, sorry for the late reply, I was waiting for the weekend so I could go over the documentation that you have provided me with. I think it'll take some other time for me to get a good grasp of how's everything set up and be able to contribute to the API, but I guess spark/geospark as you have suggested may be a good starting point for me to help out with. Perhaps I'll reach out to you via e-mail to discuss more precisely what you have in mind once I am done with the onboarding if that's okay with you. In the meanwhile, could I please be added to the slack?

Thank you and talk to you soon,
Samira

Mat Schaffer

Mar 15, 2021, 5:02:58 AM3/15/21
to Samira Stivan, safecas...@googlegroups.com, joe.m...@gmail.com
Sounds good, Samira. Send me an email any time. I asked Rob to send you a slack invite.

Rob Oudendijk

Mar 15, 2021, 6:00:30 AM3/15/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com, Samira Stivan, Joe Moross
Samira,

I just send you an invite.

Regards
rob

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk Yuka Hayashi
tel +81 80-22605966  Skype: robouden  Facebook:robouden linkedin:robouden

Idaho Loraxx

Mar 15, 2021, 10:44:23 PM3/15/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
Chase? Conflicting profiles? Your Facebook message was passed along. We are curious regarding the issues of "City" And not talking to us? You did not include what city? And if it is an Idaho Idaho Contaminated City, you can understand our interest. We understand that this is a serious issue, where many thousands of people have died in Eastern Idaho of cancer, but our goal has never changed. Expose, Obtain Medical Compensation including the RECA Act to include the Idaho Cities and schools and children expansion. The UP Railroad of which we won. Regardless, the crimial Child Abuse, Neglect, and Endangerment, and Felony Mispriions remain. For those that care, they are the ones that will get it stopped. Sorry for your inconvenience. But we would still like to know if it is Radioactive City, Pocatello, ID, that told you not to talk to us. The mayor is up for re-election, and he is of the Worst People in the World-- "@Worst People In the World." Bud there are people we are associated with that work saving thousands of lives. PS. You would not want to live in Southeastern Idaho,nor visit without a geiger counter.  ...The City that exhibited the 'Do No Tell Policy' to you? Of course we are not sure why you would of even have contacted them, knowing or having seen the data maps.

Chase Emery

Apr 27, 2021, 8:44:20 PM4/27/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
I contacted pocatello regarding any affiliations with you and the city. I was told you are not a political candidate nor affiliated with any parts of the city in any professional or official capacity, and was just suggested to stay away. However I think that might've been a miscommunication, as they probably thought you solicited me. They did not tell me "Stay away" or put any "do not talk" orders on you. I communicated with them under the impression you were with the city of Pocatello. So it was likely a misunderstanding, initially in the beginning.

I'm interested in researching more for you however; as environmental radionuclides is one of my topics I research.

I've done some thorough research of pocatello

Sources for what I'm about to say, it seems the phosphate slag problem has been a known issue with pocatello actually being one of the least affected. I'll further look into any concerns about pocatello, however I do need one thing. Would you be able to consolidate these pages, data recordings and findings and send them my way? I'm interested in looking into the findings. As I do also have some questions. Which detector/GM model are you using? By any chance, do you have access to a sodium scintillator for spectroscopy?

As the numbers can say something from a Geiger-Muller tube, but the best bet is doing a spectroscopy with a sodium scintillator, in small sample areas. to see which isotopes are present, and where it exactly is coming from.

I'm really interested in hearing back and possibly even having more data to look at, this is an interesting topic to look into. And I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Thanks,

Chase
~ Hobbyist Radiation Science Researcher

Sean Bonner

May 5, 2021, 1:27:46 AM5/5/21
to Safecast Japan
Hi-
Can you please take this discussion off list? It’s unrelated to Safecast and no need to send to everyone.

Thank you.
-Sean