What is the pipeline between a data upload, approval and displaying on the map?

Pawel Ngei

Aug 8, 2021, 1:28:10 PM8/8/21
to Safecast Discussion Group
Hey!

I recently assembled my Safecast and started mapping my city - Warsaw, Poland. I've uploaded a few submissions ( https://api.safecast.org/en-US/bgeigie_imports/53029 , https://api.safecast.org/en-US/bgeigie_imports/52867 ), but despite them being auto-approved I can't see them on https://map.safecast.org/ .

Is there a delay, is the map updated once a ~month, or is there anything else I need to do before my data is displayed?

Additionally, is there any way to check who uploaded a particular data point on the map and when? I wonder if I could get in touch with fellow mappers from Poland.

Best,

Pawel 'alxd' Ngei

jan.he...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2021, 5:39:53 AM8/25/21
to Safecast Discussion Group
Dear Pawel,
first, regarding the map - I noticed some longer delay in refresh this month. Otherwise the map gets updated much quicker - I would guess few times a week. I am not from Safecast, just another user :-)

Regarding your second question:

Additionally, is there any way to check who uploaded a particular data point on the map and when? I wonder if I could get in touch with fellow mappers from Poland.

yes, there is a nice way to do it

1) in the Tilemap menu switch on the Crosshair feature. This will display the symbol in the center of the map and also the value. You cannot move the crosshair - you have to move the map underneath.

001.png

2) move the map to the desired place so the crosshair is showing the value of the data you want to find details about. Then scroll down in the menu - there is option called "Query API @ Center" so click on it:

002.png

3) and it brings you a list of measurements in the API like this so you just select one to view:

003.png

4) and you see the particular data import:

004.png
so you can even download that original LOG file.

Finally, I do not know any way to contact the author of the particular data - only Safecast has their email contacts.

regards

Jan

Pawel Chojnacki

Aug 27, 2021, 4:29:27 AM8/27/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot! I can see my recording on the map now :)

Without the emails I guess I'll need to look for people with similar nicks in local hackerpsaces and NGOs.

If you're interested, we'll have a small Safecast panel at https://www.kopernik.org.pl/en/przemiany-festival/festival-przemiany-open-call festival at a Copernicus Science Center this October. I'll let you know if there will be any recordings!

ndolezal

Aug 29, 2021, 10:39:14 PM8/29/21
to Safecast Discussion Group
Hey Pawel,

We had some server issues but the map has indeed updated and your data should now be visible without using the log viewer as expected.  Thanks for your contributions-- sorry about that.

-Nick

Jeffrey Peacock

Aug 30, 2021, 11:35:17 PM8/30/21
to safecas...@googlegroups.com