Placement of bGeigie inside or outside car window?

Robert Staton

Jun 15, 2014, 1:58:15 PM6/15/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
From reading the instructions, it is not clear to me whether the 'nano is supposed to be inside or outside the window.  I would imagine outside it would get a better reading.  (I don't actually have mine yet, so maybe this is a stupid question.)

I have some concern about wind drag at high speed, and the possibility that it could flap in the wind and bang against the window repeatedly.  Has this been a problem for anyone?

How "bad" would it be to hang it inside the car, just near the window?  I saw somebody posted a message about a custom cup holder, which would probably put it even further from the window.  And there was another message about making a beta window out of aluminized mylar.  So apparently there are no rules?

Also I imagine it should be oriented so the GM tube's window is facing "out."

Sean Bonner

Jun 15, 2014, 5:25:11 PM6/15/14
to Robert Staton, safecast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert-

Proper placement is outside, and you roll the window up so it’s held tight and there’s no problem with wind drag. In Japan we use mylar in some areas because we’re looking for specific contamination - however it seriously compromises the structure of the case. As we don’t find any of that elsewhere in the world having the stronger weather proof case it preferred. Check the video here which shows how to use the nano:

Thanks!
-s

Sean Bonner
Director of Global Operations
Safecast.org | pgp key
signature.asc

Robert Staton

Jun 16, 2014, 4:15:51 AM6/16/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com, itzh...@hotmail.com
OK, thanks.  It was really hard to tell that the bottom part of that page had a video, because it was all a bunch of graphics that blend into the background, buried in the "mailing lists" section.