RadiationToolbox plugin for QGIS - for viewing / editing Safecast LOG data

Jan Helebrant

Mar 30, 2023, 2:37:32 PM3/30/23
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Dear Safecast users,
some of you might already know this QGIS plugin - previous versions were called "Safecast Plugin" but we later decided to add support for other radiation data.

RadiationToolbox_00.png
For financial reasons, development has been frozen in recent years and only temporary bug fixes have been made.
The latest fix of this kind made it finally possible to use the plot widget in Windows:
RadiationToolbox_01.png
But this fix only worked in Windows and caused problems in linux and maybe also in MacOS... Windows users can get the patched version here:
there are also instructions how to install the Qwt library needed for the plot feature.

Following the production of CzechRad detectors (https://github.com/juhele/CzechRad) we will have to do some "code refresh" and hopefully also fix some of the issues... so also bGeigie users might appreciate that. Also planning to finally release the plugin in official QGIS plugin repository so you no more have to perform the installation from a ZIP file. Several translations were also added, Ukrainian translation is in progress... If you want to have the plugin in your language and can help with th translation, no problem to add it too.

regards

Jan

Louis Bertrand

Apr 2, 2023, 4:34:31 PM4/2/23
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,
The instructions worked fine for Windows 10.
Have a look at your GitLab repo, there's a PR for the French translation.
All the best
 --Louis

Jan Helebrant

Apr 5, 2023, 8:47:21 AM4/5/23
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Thanks much Louis,
 I added your translation in both branches and also created the language file (*.qm) so the plugin is now automatically in Frech if you have also QGIS set to French language.

regards

Jan

QGIS_RadiationToolbox_FR.png

Jan Helebrant

Jul 28, 2023, 7:06:29 AM7/28/23
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi all,
I just wanted to let you know that the Radiation Toolbox for QGIS got a big code refresh recently:

the most visible is the plot panel update which could now work without any issues both in Windows and Linux OS (we cannot test Mac OS) (there is still an issue with missing axes labels - "ADER (microSv/h)" for Y and "distance (km)" for X, but the programmers are working to get this fixed).

You can now zoom and move the plot - in order to look more in detail on some part of the measurements. Ctrl + mouse (wheel) allows you to zoom both X and Y or only one (move the cursor above particular axis to zoom only in that direction). Holding left mouse button with cursor inside the plot area activates panning.

2023_07_Radiation_Toolbox1.jpg
2023_07_Radiation_Toolbox2.jpg

Another changes include support for the new CzechRad devices (https://github.com/juhele/CzechRad) which require slightly different ADER conversion factor. You can already try the new plugin from GitLab - download and install from ZIP in QGIS. After some testing the plugin will also be published in official QGIS plugin repository (https://plugins.qgis.org) so you would be able to install it easily using QGIS Plugin Manager within the QGIS application.

regards

Jan

Jan Helebrant

Oct 5, 2023, 7:41:17 AM10/5/23
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Dear Safecasters,
I am pleased to announce that Radiation ToolBox plugin is now available for installation via the Plugin manager in QGIS:

Radiation_Toolbox_v2023_install.png
You need to have "Experimental" enabled in Plugin manager settings and it is recommended to uninstall old plugin versions first.

There are no significant visible changes in the GUI but there was a "code refresh" - the plot panel is brand new and now also allows you to pan / zoom the graph. The support for CzechRad devices is another new thing.

enjoy

Jan

Jan Helebrant

Apr 12, 2024, 5:20:50 PMApr 12
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi friends,
for those using QGIS this might be helpful:

https://github.com/juhele/opengeodata/tree/master/GIS_supporting_layers

usually, to add some map background you need to install additional plugin like OpenLayers or QuickMapServices.
But using the QLR files from the GitHub resource above you just need to have QGIS and Internet connection - the QLR file is like a shortcut to existing online source which we already configured for you so you just drag and drop the file in QGIS and get the map loaded. Quick and simple.

I created this both because it is useful for us  - no need to remember details about particular service - WMS, REST etc.) and also useful for my colleagues with less advanced skills and no ideas what WMS or REST mean...

enjoy

regards

Jan