Red LED Kit (bought 01/08/2014)

John Apted

May 2, 2014, 12:50:40 PM5/2/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Just a heads up about the Red LED light, after noticing a discrepancy between the blue and red LEDS, I tested the circuit using my Multimeter and found that postitive and negative had been cut correctly, but that the inner fillaments didn't match.

After finishing the soldering, assebling and testing my device, I notcied (among other mistakes somwhere in the circuitry) that the Red LED isn't functioning. I've yet to de-solder, test the resistors and find out where the issues are (The bGeiger works and takes readings, but as mentioned, certain aspects of the device have been miss-soldered (or wrongly assembled, the On/Off switch is currently perminantly "On" when the battery is connected).

I've included an image of the LEDs and will update with the progress of soldering out the bugs (or possibly getting to the bottom of the Red LED issue, "On/Off" switch issues).

Anyone else run into similar issues with the kits bought around 01/08/2014?
There was another resistor issue with the assembly (which is one of the first things I'm planning on checking).

Even with the minor bugs, the bGeigie runs great!

LED image:
http://i.imgur.com/THXy6VO.jpg

Joe Moross

May 14, 2014, 10:57:15 PM5/14/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
You should double-check your red LED. I believe yours is installed backward. Some of the LEDs included in the kits are like yours and are not made the conventional way. They have the die flipped inside so the leads *look* backward. For these the length of the leads is/was *correct* not cut wrong as you (and me too at first!) surmised.

- jam

Joe Moross

May 14, 2014, 11:04:22 PM5/14/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Oh, one more thing. If your bGeigie is constantly ON, then probably the SMT switch on the FIO board is still in the ON position. Once the unit is assembled it can be hard to see, but you should be able to reach it with a toothpick or similar. Switching that to OFF should make the main power switch work properly.

- jam