bGeigie Nano future

Planetary Paul

Jul 13, 2022, 3:23:30 AM7/13/22
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
- I got word that Kithub has folded, so no more bGeigies from them. I was lucky to get my hands on the last few.
- As I understand some parts are by now problematic to get. Is this the chip problem, or are some crucial parts outdated and will no longer be manufactured?

So where does that leave our favourite GM-counter? My guess is that the need for BGN-level GM-counters will only grow. Of course there is the Inspector range of GM-counters, but they don't integrate into the Safecast environment.

BTW, the BGN is great for education as you can look at its innards from all sides and the Safecast project is a great substrate for school projects.

So my question is: is Safecast org looking at a successor/alternatives to the BGN?
Message has been deleted

Hynek Buček

Jul 13, 2022, 4:46:17 AM7/13/22
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
It's still possible to buy all parts one by one but It's time consuming also you have to order PCB board from some manufacturer, cut acrylic parts on laser cutter, stickers on cutting plotter, order sensor through email and order high voltage board through telephone device :D ... yes.

I see actual weakness of the project in:
- arduino fio controller is obsolete not produced anymore and it would be probably sold out in future but still it's available
- IMI rover high voltage board is proprietary, it isn't  open hardware and we are dependent on one distribution source from USA this could be blocker. I understand that it's difficult to find alternative.
- bluetooth module for drivecast app. can be bought but it would have bad firmware and won't work with app, firmware upgrade is problematic
- Kithub distribution doesn't sell kits or BT units anymore :( so it's much harder to construct new unit

I think that Rob is working on new bluetooth module and in past there was project related to alternative high voltage board but I am not sure how it ends. This project would live in future just need some upgrades.

Jan Helebrant

Jul 14, 2022, 3:39:04 AM7/14/22
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,
we hope to be able to bring CzechRad into the game...

Czechrad_prototype.jpg

It was expected to be already in the manufacturing process but first COVID, then the chip shortage etc. caused huge delay and we are still missing some components (or some part of the needed amount) to be able to start the production.

In addition, for obvious reasons we could not use the originally planned Russian GM tube and a new tender had to be issued. This is possibly good news for users as it looks like the same type of tube will be used as in the bGeigie Nano. Unfortunately, this means the need to modify the electronics, which is currently underway and being tested. For users, it could also mean the possibility to use the Pelican box and the tube from a non-functional or damaged bGeigie Nano if the tube itself is OK...

Hope to be able to provide some updates soon...

regards

Jan

Dne středa 13. července 2022 v 10:46:17 UTC+2 uživatel hynek...@gmail.com napsal:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Planetary Paul

Jul 14, 2022, 5:35:43 PM7/14/22
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi Jan, will there also be a Bluetooth functionality?

Jan Helebrant

Jul 15, 2022, 9:45:49 AM7/15/22
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,
no, there is no BT chip onboard by default. There are some free pins so maybe DIY or future revision, but none of our 50-60 bGeigies uses it so there was no demand and it also make it possible to use the device in conditions where any wireless devices are forbidden to use.

In addition, there is also virtual COM port available through the USB - currently used for tuning and debugging, but could be used for realtime data acquisition and there is also plan to develop a desktop app for downloading LOGs from the SD card without need to remove it and use external reader. Plus, possibly, some "cleanup" features like "download all LOGs from the card to PC and move the LOGs in the card to Archive subfolder.".

regards

Jan

Rob Oudendijk

Sep 28, 2022, 4:35:48 AM9/28/22
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Jan,

If you made a Xbee on the board, you should be able to use BLE and Wi-Fi as we do on bGeigeiNano with BleeBee and bGeigieCasts.

Regards,
rob

Wax Wood

Dec 24, 2022, 2:24:47 AM12/24/22
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
I would be interested in buying this device if it outperforms the BGeigie Nano and has greater longevity (parts are more easily replaceable). I have two BGeigie Nanos that I am trying to get working now. Just assembled them! I'd hoped to use them for many years, but after reading about problems with sourcing components, am a bit concerned.

Jan Helebrant

Dec 24, 2022, 6:03:32 AM12/24/22
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,
regarding device lifespan - hard to say this in case of CzechRad - we have less cables, less soldered connections than bGeigie Nano - e.g. less potential problems, but now idea about the PCB itself. The battery is standard, the HV power unit too... CzechRad is using same Geiger tube so there is an idea to have "refurbishment" version without the Pelican box and the LND tube so users with dead bGeigies could reuse the most expensive components and get a working device.

But to be honest from our about 60 bGeigies some are still from the first batch which was spring 2015 and are still in service.

Safecast is also working on their bGeigie Zen - both devices are now mentioned in the Wikipedia page:

regards

Jan

Rob Oudendijk

Dec 24, 2022, 11:40:45 PM12/24/22
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Wax,

The future version of the bGeigieNano will be the bGeigieZen(https://bgeigiezen.safecast.jp/). Now in beta, waiting to get the safepulse to be confirmed working by Pieter Franken.
And then more beta testing.

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk

Rob Oudendijk

Apr 16, 2024, 6:48:01 PM (12 days ago) Apr 16
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
The bGiegieZen has been in production now for a few weeks. Soon the first orders will be shipped.

Regards
Rob Oudendijk