One log, three different dates

Alberto Villa

Jun 29, 2019, 2:51:02 PM6/29/19
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,

An anomaly occurred in my bGeigie during the recording of a drive the 27th of January 2019 that shoud have produced the log file <27970127.log>.

Unfortunately my SD card already contained many log files generated in 2018 (I forgot to move them in a specific folder), and one ot these had the same name <27970127.log>. Hence during the upload I discovered that this file had not been overwritten: it still contained the old data of the previous year, while the current data was lost.

But something else happened also, quite unusual (al least to me). It's this:

The file <27970000.log> has always been an almost empty one that never changed (just a single row with "# NEW LOG# format=1.3.4nano# deadtime=on"). To my surprise after the trip, this log file was completely modified (see attachment). Now it showed a lot of data collected in three different dates of the previous year (yyyy-mm-dd): 2018-05-27, 2018-08-15 and 2018-09-09.

Did you ever had something like this reported?

Now I will separate these three groups of data and see if I can still upload them.

Well, the lesson learned is that at the beginning of a new year I must remember that all old log files in the SD card have to be placed into a specific folder created for this purpose, or removed.

I suggest to decribe this procedure in the operations manual of the bGeigie.

Thanks and best regards.

Alberto
27970000.log

Sean Bonner

Jun 29, 2019, 9:01:20 PM6/29/19
to Alberto Villa, safecast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alberto-

XXXX0000.log is what the nano writes when it hasn’t gotten a data from GPS, which can happen intermittently in areas with poor connection.

A good habit to is to put older bGeigie logs into an “old” folder the moment you upload them, so that only new logs are ever on the main directory of the card - and then copying that folder off the card regularly. Typically you don’t want any log files in the main directory that you’ve already uploaded.

-s

Sean Bonner
Co-Founder, Director of Global Operations
http://safecast.org

<27970000.log>

Alberto Villa

Jul 2, 2019, 3:21:22 PM7/2/19
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Thank you very much Sean,

I have followed your suggestion.

As told before, I suggest to describe this procedure in an updated edition of the bGeige's operations handbook.

Best regards,

Alberto