Updating the Nano's firmware on a Mac

Chris Diehl

Dec 28, 2017, 2:11:06 PM12/28/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi Folks,

I could use some guidance on updating the firmware on a Mac. I just installed Crosspack-AVR on my Macbook Pro and attempted running the avrdude command. Got the following response:

MacBook-Pro-5:bGeigieNanoKit cpd$ /usr/local/CrossPack-AVR/bin/avrdude -DV -p atmega328p -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -c arduino -b 57600 -U flash:w:bGeigieNano.hex:i
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/ttyUSB0": No such file or directory
ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I'm guessing I need a way to identify the specific port used by the Nano. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Chris

Rob Oudendijk

Dec 28, 2017, 11:36:31 PM12/28/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Chris,

Are you planning on programming the firmware? Or just uploading the current HEX file to the bGeigieNano?
For just uploading the bGeigeiNano code download the app on github and connect the bGeigieNano and run the app. That is it.

regards
rob

Chris Diehl

Dec 29, 2017, 12:23:36 AM12/29/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi Rob,

My plan was simply to upload the current HEX file for v1.3.5. v1.3.4 is currently running on the bGeigie Nano I just built. When I tried it just now with the app, I saw the following messages:

TERM environment variable not set.
Safecast

Firmware Uploader Mac

The following is a list of the available serial ports:

1. /dev/tty.usbserial-FT9QCYW2

One relevant port so selecting it automatically : /dev/tty.usbserial-FT9QCYW2
1. bGeigieNano.hex
TERM environment variable not set.
Safecast firmware Updater

Writing - bGeigieNano.hex
to port - /dev/tty.usbserial-FT9QCYW2
IC      - atmega328p

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I was getting a different set of messages before when I tried the app. That was prior to installing Crosspack-AVR. This looked more promising up until the last message.

Chris