Nano build completed and firmware successfully updated. Comments and questions.

Daniel Tomczak

Nov 22, 2013, 11:03:21 PM11/22/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
I have completed the build of my Nano kit.  Overall I'm very impressed with the way this device is designed and executed.  THANK YOU!

Medcom had informed me after my purchase that there was a problem with the firmware causing a GPS issue, and they would not be shipping kits until a fix was made.  I forwarded them a link to a discussion on the 1.3.2 upgrade fix and they proceeded to ship the kit.  Ordered FTDI breakout board from Sparkfun, which arrived the same day as the kit.  For simplicity and with little programming knowledge, I was able to borrow a windows 7 PC and use xloader to do the update.  Thanks to this post by Frank Erickson it was pretty painless and was a success.

There were some issues with the kit.  An extra 1K resistor, no apple audio cable, stainless screws too long (ground them down), and not enough male headers.
It would be nice to see the kits include split ring lock washers for the stainless standoffs, screws, and nuts.  Possibly an assortment of nylon washers for use as non conductive spacers to keep screw length issue less confusing.

Question:
I thought I saw somewhere in browsing prior to building the kit that it would be necessary to remove certain files on the SD card in order to use with OSX.  Can anyone confirm or deny this and point me to instructions? Looking forward to contributing measurements. Thx

-Daniel

Yohanan Weininger

Nov 24, 2013, 9:58:58 AM11/24/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
as far as I know, there's no need to delete files from the SD card.

Other Files on the  MicroSD Card **

* The micro-SD card is delivered with apple disc system files and folders. [non Apple devices users can delete or leave these on micro-SD?  Plenty of space to leave them on the 2gb Micro-SD card.]