Radon (Rn) Gas

SERHAT SÖNMEZ

Jul 25, 2017, 11:42:38 AM7/25/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hello everyone,

Can a bGeigie detect Radon gas in the air? How can we set it up if the answer is 'yes'?

Piet Velzeboer

Thanks

deti...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2018, 12:05:49 AM3/16/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Have you received an answer? Next week we hope to start monitoring Fracking sites with the expectation of checking for radon and R226

Sean Bonner, Safecast

Mar 16, 2018, 12:15:29 AM3/16/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support, deti...@gmail.com
Hi-

This is a question that has been discussed a few times, if you check out the Safecast website you can find a number of articles involving radon:

An important note is that the bGiegie is a geiger counter, not a scintillator - so it will measure radiation but will not speculate on the isotope or source. It’s not a gas measurement device and is not looking for Radon specifically. It can detect the radiation given off by Radon when it’s close to the sensor, but as gas dilutes and flows that would be unpredictable, and an environment outside with a strong breeze would read differently than an enclosed room. So the short answer is that yes it can detect Radon if it’s present, but no it’s not designed for measuring Radon and would not give you any information about it.

Hope that helps!
-sean

Sean Bonner

Co-Founder, Director of Global Operations

Safecast.org | pgp key