Safecast API Contakt option...

Lugul banda

Nov 8, 2018, 4:15:15 PM11/8/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Safecast is a comunity Network without a Comunity Network, i feel strange after all this years, that
we still have no way to contakt people from ur neighbourhood, or Contry or from others...
as is first heared of Safecast,i had noone to talk to in my Country, it was very hard to find someone or how to obtain the Parts...
later i noticed people passing by my home, on the map, and up to today i see a growing Number of Safecasters in my Nation, and still
since the beginning, i have no way to contact them, or to gather them or, just for a meet and Greet... i would be happy,
if we in the API not only see those People but also have the option to send them a message, to for a team or just to talk about were and what to measure...

yes we have a big datagrid of people ... but i must say.. lonely people. not a real comunity more on the map then any other connection.

just my 3 Cents..
Best wishes..

Sean Bonner

Nov 8, 2018, 4:35:11 PM11/8/18
to Lugul banda, safecast...@googlegroups.com
It’s important to remember that Safecast is not a social network, it’s a platform to facilitate public domain environmental data. Data is tied to a device, not to a person and it would create significant privacy issues if we tried to track who used a device at what time, and allowed people to send messages based on data, not to mention the potential for abuse.

Hope that makes sense.
-s

Sean Bonner
Co-Founder, Director of Global Operations
http://safecast.org

Jan Helebrant

Nov 9, 2018, 3:30:45 AM11/9/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,
I agree, that sometimes it would be useful to leave a message for the user account which uploaded the data. For example I think it would be useful to check the Rome data regarding the 30 microSv/h and even bigger hotspots which are possibly caused by security x-ray data left in the LOG files. I am working (or better I am trying to work on it) in my free time and I also have few my LOGs with x-ray data to use for a reference.

On the other way it could cause some spamming...
Regarding the privacy - the problem device / person should be not such a problem. The data are uploaded from some registered account so from a technical point of view you could just make it possible to leave message for that account - no matter which person used the device.

With our about 60 bGeigies such message would  end in my account and I probably would be able to answer it without telling you information (I mean more information than those already present in the API) about the person carrying the particular bGeigie.

However, I know the Safecast crew is probably terribly busy and I am glad they keep it all working.

Jan

Mat Schaffer

Nov 9, 2018, 3:46:57 AM11/9/18
to Jan Helebrant, Safecast Device Discussions and Support
I could still see some chance for abuse there.

E.g., posting threats about someone on measurements near where they live

Probably better for people who want to be contacted to have an easily googleable name on their profile.

That way it's easy to stay mostly anonymous unless you don't want to.
--
Message has been deleted

Dan Bobczynski

Nov 10, 2018, 1:48:23 AM11/10/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
I notice that when I use the "Query Safecast API Here" function in the Tile Map, for my data, my name shows up in the query response, but when I query others' data, it only shows the instrument number.  Is that the way it is supposed to work?  If so, I don't understand how it knows it was me doing the query.
Dan Bobczynski

Jan Helebrant

Nov 10, 2018, 6:15:02 AM11/10/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
I do not think so.
If I use the query for example here:

where we do not have any own data it gives me this list:
https://api.safecast.org/en-US/measurements?utf8=✓&latitude=37.425367&longitude=141.027123&distance=31&captured_after=2011-03-10T00%3A00%3A00Z&captured_before=2018-11-11T11%3A11%3A00.741Z&since=&until=&commit=Filter

and after selecting one of the drives - for example:

I also see the names there. I think it works this way a long time as I often send our users "personalised" links with their own measurements (as particular devices change users from time time).

Jan

Dan Bobczynski

Nov 10, 2018, 9:07:45 AM11/10/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
To protect users identities, I suggest that when a query is made that the names listed in the "Credits" field be omitted from the query response.

Sean Bonner

Jan Helebrant

Nov 10, 2018, 12:30:38 PM11/10/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,

Credits is an optional field

this is exactly how we consider it. Most users want to be listed as authors of particular measurements so there is no issue with privacy - they provide name voluntarily and they know it will be publicly available.

Of course we inform our bGeigie users that it is not mandatory and that they can use some nickname or remain absolutely anonymous - in such case we use credits "RAMESIS (for SURO.cz)" citing only the name of our citizen measurements research project (1).

For example the guys from the school project Laborky.cz decided to be credited only as "Laborky.cz" instead of citing particular students:
https://api.safecast.org/en-US/bgeigie_imports?approved=&by_status=&by_user_id=&commit=Filter&order=created_at+desc&q=Laborky.cz&uploaded_after=&uploaded_before=&utf8=✓

BTW, I am glad that you can also query the credits field in the API as I can generate links for particular person or organization - similarly like here all data measured by Sean :-)

https://api.safecast.org/en-US/bgeigie_imports?approved=&by_status=&by_user_id=&commit=Filter&order=created_at+desc&q=sean+bonner&uploaded_after=&uploaded_before=&utf8=✓

Jan

(1) Radiation Monitoring Network for institutions and schools to assure early awareness and enhancing safety of citizens (RAMESIS)

Dan Bobczynski

Nov 10, 2018, 3:11:05 PM11/10/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
I understand.  Thanks for the explanation.
Dan
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Lugul banda

Nov 18, 2018, 3:01:59 PM11/18/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support

I use myself a different, name in open space, but, thats adicted to my long term expirance on the net, others call it paranoia... but
everytime is see a measurement  like the one of from today, i feel sad, knowing me and annother Safecaster crossed lines and still dont know eachother...
i completly unterstand the thing with the privaty, but sometimes, it feels like a slow down block in the way... and robs u options for doing good work more efficent
well so its like that since fukoshima, the only way to find the others, is on a meet and greed day, if it will happen one day again

nobody reads it and if its to late, and later u lost a person doing the work, because no network no help no nothing ....

but if i learned one thing from Safecast, then that answers uploads can take months and years.... ben patient is one skill to train and refine, if ur with Safecast...

the head members do a lot of work and post alot that, get the picture in the mind of the safecasters they get support fast, or everyone is monitoring every post everywere....
wich is not, so the security turns around by 180° by pushing the people with no social communicatione options, to post theyr adress, theyr email theyr phonenumber just to help others.. and this is putting the Trousers down alot more...

if u want u can scan the forums the comuntiys and everything its full of personal date, and just because nobody knows who is out there and who can help...

just my 3 Cent..

Lugul banda

Nov 18, 2018, 3:12:32 PM11/18/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
one thing i forget to mention, u can pinpoint very easy  the location of alot safecasters, on the pile up data next to theyr homes.. depends on when they turn on or if they provide the device to others...