Open geodataset of uranium mines and deposits moved to GitHub

Jan Helebrant

Dec 14, 2019, 1:03:31 PM12/14/19
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi all safecasters,
as I remember at least some of you were interested in this interactive map of places somehow connected with deposits of radioactive raw materials - no matter if mining, processing or just exploration.

As Google has turned off the Fusion Tables service the map stopped working and I had to find alternative solution. You currently find the map on GitHub - direct link to the map is here:

but it might change after updating the file so using this link and click to GeoJSON file there should always work:

The dataset covers whole world and I am trying to add more data there in future:

Github_uranium_mines001.png

this is example of zooming to particular country - here Czech Republic:

Github_uranium_mines002.png

there is also GeoPackage (*.gpkg) file available to download so you can display these sites together with other layers and your Safecast data in QGIS for example:

Safecast_Pribram2.jpg

The dataset is based on several sources - for example USGS, geological surveys of Finland, Czech Republic, IAEA documents etc. which are mentioned for each site.

hope you will find it useful

regards

Jan

Mat Schaffer

Dec 14, 2019, 10:34:24 PM12/14/19
to Jan Helebrant, Safecast Device Discussions and Support
TIL - has no idea geojson was a thing or that GitHub would render it for you.

Thanks for this, Jan!

Jan Helebrant

Apr 3, 2020, 3:33:04 PM4/3/20
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,
I am using all the time having to spend at home also to continue in work. Just uploaded updated version of the dataset:

I added few missing mines in Canada, in the  Elliot Lake region and also the sites in South America from the USGS Mineral Resources Data System (MRDS).

World_uranium_mines_and_reserves_v6_preview01.png

World_uranium_mines_and_reserves_v6_preview02.png

I am also going to add Africa and the rest of the world and also check it with the IAEA sources like UDEPO:

but it will need some more time.

regards

Jan

Jan Helebrant

Aug 3, 2023, 4:17:07 PM8/3/23
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,
just wanted to say that my open dataset of uranium related sites (and thus also a list of potentially interesting places to visit with your bGeigie):

Uranium_v13.jpg

got a big updates in recent weeks. I also plan to focus more on Europe in next month - there are only few sites in Poland included and the other countries are also not fully covered and I would like to improve that.
You always can get the most recent version from the Github link mentioned above.

enjoy

Jan