Open Log stopped logging.

Richard Wood

Mar 24, 2018, 6:04:08 PM3/24/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
My Bgeige stopped writing to the sd card.?  It works fine using bluetooth, I tested the sd card and can read / write to it, cleaned the contacts and can see nothing wrong.  It has worked for months but I took for granted was writing and lost or missed a month of daily records.
The lights on the openlog card work and flash as I remembered?
Is there an explanation for the lights on that card? there are a few of them.
 I've a meter and scope, but have not bothered...
What is the best replacement for the openlog device?

Richard Wood

Mar 24, 2018, 6:11:42 PM3/24/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Found this which explains the Openlog light and a few troubleshooting ideas.
https://github.com/sparkfun/OpenLog/wiki/Datasheet

Richard Wood

Apr 12, 2018, 1:45:20 PM4/12/18
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
The solution was to get a new SD Card, copy the two config files and I was back in business
"In case you have not, please reformat (get new) the card and put the config.txt and safecast.txt files on the card after formatting. "

My "bad card" works fine as a storage device and my computer can use it with no problems.  This threw me off in troubleshooting, don't do that.  I did keep the SD Card as part of a chain of custody record besides using other storage schema so I did not want to destroy the original.

Many of my records do not go to safecast, they are evaluated either with the API or some simple search and scriptatas to pull stats. Many reasons, are they worth discussing?

Side Note:  Based on UTC (GMT)
The SD card looks for a log file with the current date,
if it exists, append data to that log file
of not, create new log file

This will mix my data, that is a challenge as I will have mixed data sets two hours gamma using the standard bGeige drive rules verse Open detector window.) and mixed sensor orientations.  Technique and data management, do we have ?  Is there a thread on this huge topic, Sample techniques and Data management?

Mat Schaffer

Apr 13, 2018, 9:55:44 AM4/13/18
to Richard Wood, Safecast Device Discussions and Support
I like to create folders on my SD card and move logs into there. The bGeigie only creates files at the root so after you move the file to a subdirectory it won't get written to anymore.

I also do this once per year just to keep the root fairly clean and only covering the current year.