Duplicated data points when stationary?

Louis Bertrand

Aug 2, 2017, 8:18:28 AM8/2/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Hi,
In our ramblings on vacation I often leave the bGeigie running when stopped for lunch or sightseeing. However that generates a lot of duplicate data points from the same location, and I expect it would unnecessarily burden the database with useless data. Would it be better if I culled those duplications, or does it matter?
What software is suggested to visualize a drive before submitting? (Mac, Win or Linux all OK)
Thanks
 --Louis

Kalin KOZHUHAROV (Safecast)

Aug 2, 2017, 11:37:03 AM8/2/17
to Louis Bertrand, Safecast Device Discussions and Support
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Louis Bertrand
<louisber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In our ramblings on vacation I often leave the bGeigie running when stopped
> for lunch or sightseeing. However that generates a lot of duplicate data
> points from the same location, and I expect it would unnecessarily burden
> the database with useless data. Would it be better if I culled those
> duplications, or does it matter?

For a few hours - it does not matter really. If you plan to leave the
unit running for long (say >12h) stationary, then it is a good idea
to:
* turn it off once to end current log
* turn it on and leave it (for the stationary log)
* turn it off to end the stationary log
* and on to continue a drive.

Properly taken data is valuable, even if stationary!

> What software is suggested to visualize a drive before submitting? (Mac, Win or Linux all OK).

May be others will chime in with suggestions (QGIS comes to mind,
search the ML), but the current (since few months) API is good enough
for preview, IMHO.
Remember there is upload/preview -> submit -> approve (by moderator)
-> tilemap; you can delete a drive without submitting.
(of course you'll need Net connection, but I hope you were not talking
about remote-in-the-boonies preview?)

Cheers,
Kalin.

Louis Bertrand

Aug 2, 2017, 8:34:45 PM8/2/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support, louisber...@gmail.com
Thanks Kalin,
None of my stationary readings were overnight. Just lunch breaks and sightseeing so I should be OK. I'm not out in the boonies but I don't really have a good connection so I will wait until I'm home to submit the rest of my drives.
For QGIS, does it understand the Safecast record format? Or is there a customization or translation step to do first?
Thanks
 --Louis

Jan Helebrant

Aug 3, 2017, 2:14:48 AM8/3/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support, louisber...@gmail.com
Dear Louis,
QGIS can load Safecast LOG file directly with the appropriate plugin:

I am using it almost every week :-)

regards

Jan