Nail polish?

Robert Staton

Jun 20, 2014, 1:34:24 AM6/20/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
I got my bGeigie in the mail today, and I just finished assembling it, other than the enclosure and putting on the mesh screen that protects the GM tube.  Everything seems to work fine so far.

But I'm supposed to use nail polish to attach the mesh screen?  I don't have any nail polish.  That will be a fun experience buying some.  "It's for my Geiger counter...  No, my Geiger counter doesn't need lipstick."

Are there other adhesives that will work, like RTV?

I only have two significant things to whine about in regard to assembly.
1. There's a row of terminals that was clearly meant to be 14 pins long.  But I was only supposed to put in 8 pins.  I ended up pulling the other 6 out.  The instructions did say to put 8 pins there, but it seems like it should have had a stronger warning not to put in all 14 pins.
2. The double-sided tape that came in the kit is completely useless.  One side of the paper backing will not pull away from the adhesive.  It just shreds, leaving behind a non-sticky side.

dav...@softintel.com

Jun 20, 2014, 1:46:00 PM6/20/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com

Robert Staton

Jun 20, 2014, 7:59:32 PM6/20/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
I just went ahead and got some at a beauty supply store for $4. I guess I can just inhale the leftovers. :P

Andy Johnson

Jun 27, 2014, 3:52:48 PM6/27/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Glad you got it together!  I had trouble with that double-sided foam tape too.

I used fletching glue for the screen.  I don't plan on taking it off.

Andy

Joe Moross

Jun 27, 2014, 9:31:33 PM6/27/14
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
You can blame me for the nail polish. It's one of my standard engineering/hacking substances. Clear nail polish is just acrylic binder without any pigment which makes it a useful adhesive, waterproof coating, conformal insulation, etc. You can buy similar stuff with special labeling from Dow, Loctite, or Dymax, but in most cases I prefer cheap nail polish because it costs less and comes with its own brush! I get it at the Dollar Store (three for a dollar) and like to keep black, white, and clear. The black and white are good for marking things.

The first time I bought nail polish in Japan I wanted bright orange. I wanted it to lock the alignment screws on laser systems and it needed to be highly visible for easy inspection. And yes, the lady at the Kanebo counter asked me if I also needed the matching lipstick.

The folks at CrashSpace in L.A. have apparently had good luck with spray adhesive for attaching the grid to the pancake tube. Something like Scotch Super 77.

- jam