V1.2.6

Rob Oudendijk

Jul 6, 2013, 4:32:27 AM7/6/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
For all the bGiegieNanoKit users there is an update at Github. Also I made modification for CO/NOX and temp/humidity if people are interested to share their idea about that. Data is written on a separated line in the log file to keep the data backwards compatible

regards
rob oudendijk

Shigeru Kawaguchi

Jul 6, 2013, 2:51:57 PM7/6/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Just want to clarify, the version of the software shipped in the kit was 1.1.1, am I correct?

For updating the software, can I go with hooking bGeigieNano with FTDI cable and load with Arduino app on Mac? Or actually have to follow the steps in;
Yes, I know I am wondering if I can get things easier...

Thanks.

Sean Bonner

Jul 7, 2013, 1:23:30 PM7/7/13
to Shigeru Kawaguchi, safecast...@googlegroups.com
Different kits were shipped with different versions depending on when they were kitted up/mailed out/etc...
--

* Sent from my iPhone

Sean Bonner

Q: Why is this email three sentences or less?

Shigeru Kawaguchi

Jul 7, 2013, 2:32:54 PM7/7/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I got it.

Is there a release note-ish document for each version of firmware that I can read?

Thanks.

Sean Bonner

Jul 7, 2013, 7:33:04 PM7/7/13
to Shigeru Kawaguchi, safecast...@googlegroups.com
probably not...

Pieter Franken

Jul 12, 2013, 3:44:08 AM7/12/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com, Shigeru Kawaguchi
You can see the changes per release in github. It maybe a bit cryptic.

Pieter

Shigeru Kawaguchi

Jul 12, 2013, 5:39:53 PM7/12/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com, Shigeru Kawaguchi
I see that the revision starts from 1.1.1, which is the firmware came with my bGeigieNano Kit. Interesting.

Thanks.

Shigeru Kawaguchi

Jul 19, 2013, 9:08:41 PM7/19/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Well, not quite 1.2.6, but 1.2.7 that is current, I have downloaded and tried to compile the code following the Wiki page instruction "How to setup build environment on Mac OS X." But it fails at
$ make
mkdir -p .lib//usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/
/usr/local/bin/avr-gcc  -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=100 -I. -Iutil -Iutility -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//hardware/arduino/cores/arduino -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//hardware/arduino/variants/eightanaloginputs/ -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/SoftwareSerial -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/EEPROM -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/Wire -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/Adafruit_GFX -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/Adafruit_SSD1306  -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/SoftwareSerial/utility  -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/EEPROM/utility  -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/Wire/utility  -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/Adafruit_GFX/utility  -I/usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//libraries/Adafruit_SSD1306/utility  -c -o .lib//usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/WInterrupts.c.o /usr/local/src/arduino-1.0.5//hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/WInterrupts.c
unknown MCU 'atmega328p' specified

I have copied the arduino-1.0.5 app to the /usr/local folder so I assume this should be working, should not it? Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance.

In the meanwhile, I loaded the HEX version and it reads v 1.2.4 somehow...

Shigeru Kawaguchi

Jul 19, 2013, 9:15:19 PM7/19/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I forgot one thing.

The bottom of the wiki page "Upload the bGeigieNano software", the command should be as below, the one on the wiki page will load old version of avrdude and will error out with: avrdude: Can't find programmer id "arduino"

/usr/local/CrossPack-AVR/bin/avrdude -DV -p atmega328p -P /dev/tty.usbserial-AM01R12M -c arduino -b 57600 -U flash:w:bGeigieNano.hex:i

Yohanan Weininger

Jul 20, 2013, 9:21:28 AM7/20/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Does update need a MAC?  (A newbie question but there is no API setup page. I have MS Windows...but can boot  linux window.  I have yet to connect Nano to API on iPad.)

RLR

Jul 20, 2013, 10:53:30 AM7/20/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
I am a newbie and wonder what the procedure is for updating the bGeigieNano from a Windows PC.   I have Arduino app and FTDI interface adapter to usb.  I've never loaded a HEX image before so is there a procedure somewhere that would explain so I don't brick my bGeigieNano?

Roger

Shigeru Kawaguchi

Jul 20, 2013, 10:14:20 PM7/20/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I assume you already have it installed but just in case, you will need to have FTDI driver from here;

Then, you will have to follow something similar to this instruction from Adafruit;

You will need avrdude;

I can not help for compiling on Windows, sorry.

Rob Oudendijk

Aug 6, 2013, 11:27:37 AM8/6/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Roger,

For a Windows PC it is very easy to upload an HEX file into a bGeigeiNanao.

RLR

Aug 6, 2013, 12:43:28 PM8/6/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

Thank you for that link to X-loader.

I'm not sure I found the most recent hex code file on Github, but I downloaded 1.2.5 hex code file from  https://github.com/Safecast/bGeigieNanoKit and installed with no issues.  It booted up as version 1.2.4 but suspect that was just a overlooked in the update code.  No big deal.

Is that url above the correct place to go for the latest Hex code files?

Thank you again for your help.
Roger

Yohanan Weininger

Oct 24, 2013, 3:31:09 PM10/24/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
1) Roger, if you upgraded firmware on ms win 8.0 pc,  how did you learn what device and com port to choose in the XLoader menu?
See the wiki page on Mac-OS-X firmware build. I added a draft stub at the bottom of page re Nano firmware installation on MS-Windows... The stub needs editing or moving to its own page. At least the above XLoader instruction by Rob is copied there correctly...

3) Newbie Question: the firmware is loaded via the USB cable when the Nano is in power OFF? or power ON? Or does it make a difference? (recharging with Power ON is not recommended.)

ps) The  SAFECAST.TXT country code parameter: 2-letter or 3-letter?  Or no given standard? e.g.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1

Yohanan Weininger

Oct 24, 2013, 6:23:59 PM10/24/13
to safecast...@googlegroups.com
to RLR, thanks for mail. I updated the MS-Windows build note on the page with your information. Tomorrow I'll get FDTI-FIO breakout board and try the build.