Firmware flash fails - 'programmer is not responding'

Brandon Shope

May 16, 2017, 2:52:19 PM5/16/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Experts,

In my final test I have attempted to verify the firmware can be successfully flashed. Unfortunately, it fails. Any ideas?

Error from the nano uploader for Mac - (avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding)

Error HexUploader for Mac (device type Nano ATmega 328p) -
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): failed miserably to execute command 0x10

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000 (retrying)

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000 (retrying)

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000

avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.

avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F

Error HexUploader for Mac (device type Uno ATmega 328p) -

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Nano Firmware Uploader Output:

TERM environment variable not set.
Safecast

Firmware Uploader Mac

The following is a list of the available serial ports:

1. /dev/tty.usbserial-FT0DJHOM

One relevant port so selecting it automatically : /dev/tty.usbserial-FT0DJHOM
1. bGeigieNano.hex
TERM environment variable not set.
Safecast firmware Updater

Writing - bGeigieNano.hex
to port - /dev/tty.usbserial-FT0DJHOM
IC      - atmega328p

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Kalin KOZHUHAROV (Safecast)

May 16, 2017, 3:18:10 PM5/16/17
to Brandon Shope, Safecast Device Discussions and Support

On May 16, 2017 20:52, "Brandon Shope" <brando...@gmail.com> wrote:
Experts,

In my final test I have attempted to verify the firmware can be successfully flashed. Unfortunately, it fails. Any ideas?

Error from the nano uploader for Mac - (avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding)

Error HexUploader for Mac (device type Nano ATmega 328p) -
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): failed miserably to execute command 0x10

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Check cables (can you use the same cable to COMMUNICATE with other device, not just charge)?

May be a permission problem, can you run this command in a terminal (when Nano is connected) and paste the output here:

ls -las /dev/tty.usb*

BTW, which program (what URL) did you download to try?

Kalin.

Brandon Shope

May 16, 2017, 3:44:42 PM5/16/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support, brando...@gmail.com
Kalin,

Thanks for the response.

1. Check cable - I am using this cable (GearMo USB to 3.3v TTL Header like FTDI TTL-232R-3V3) It is an unknown as my previous Arduino boards could be programmed via USB. I have ordered another cable to attempt to rule that out. (note, when connected the device powers on and I do see serial output via the Arduino IDE - Serial Monitor)

2. Check permission - Brandons-MacBook-Pro:~ brandon$ ls -las /dev/tty.usb*

0 crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   20,  14 May 16 15:28 /dev/tty.usbserial-FT0DJHOM

3. Program and download location - https://github.com/Safecast/bGeigieNanoKit/blob/master/bGeigeiNano_V1.3.5_uploader.app.zip (even though it is named v1.3.5 it appears to attempt to load v1.3.4)

Thanks,
Brandon
Message has been deleted

Brandon Shope

May 16, 2017, 7:58:36 PM5/16/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support, brando...@gmail.com
Kalin,

I got it to flash. I removed the BLEBee module first. If this is documented I missed it.

Thanks!

Kalin KOZHUHAROV (Safecast)

May 17, 2017, 5:10:41 AM5/17/17
to Brandon Shope, Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Great!

I completely forgot about the BLEBee option...

Yes it must be removed before reprogramming since it shares TX/RX signals.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:58 AM, Brandon Shope <brando...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I removed the BLEBee module first. If this is documented I missed it.

It was documented, but not in the most obvious place.. Fixed now:

https://github.com/Safecast/bGeigieNanoKit/wiki/How-to-Update-the-Firmware#introduction

Kalin.

Edouard Lafargue

May 17, 2017, 12:49:43 PM5/17/17
to Kalin KOZHUHAROV (Safecast), Brandon Shope, Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Kalin, does that mean we could upgrade over BLE if we wanted to?

Ed

Kalin KOZHUHAROV (Safecast)

May 17, 2017, 5:01:00 PM5/17/17
to Edouard Lafargue, Safecast Device Discussions and Support, Brandon Shope

On May 17, 2017 18:49, "Edouard Lafargue" <edo...@lafargue.name> wrote:
Kalin, does that mean we could upgrade over BLE if we wanted to?

That is an interesting idea, but I guess it has not been exploited yet!

In theory, if you can program the BLEBee to send the firmware image (and power Fio via USB), it should be possible. You will probably need a special "programmer" firmware temporary on the BLEBee though.

Kalin.

Rob Oudendijk

May 18, 2017, 9:22:59 AM5/18/17
to Safecast Device Discussions and Support
Yes, need to reprogram the BleBee. Better wait for next generation. With DFU buildin.

Rob