Link correction: Job Opening for Scientists---Field Monitor/QA Officer at Desert Research Institute

Ted Hartwell

Jun 5, 2018, 1:43:19 PM6/5/18
to Safecast Air Quality Discussion
My apologies...the previous posting of this position had incorrect link information.  Please follow the link below for accurate info and to apply for this position.

POSITION DESCRIPTION

The Desert Research Institute (DRI) is seeking a full-time Field Monitor/Quality Assurance Officer for the Community Environmental Monitoring Program (CEMP) program based in Las Vegas.

CEMP is a nearly four-decades long citizen-scientist program funded by the Department of Energy to facilitate a public role in monitoring for radioactivity within the air and groundwater environments of local communities that could have originated from activities conducted at the nearby Nevada National Security Site. The CEMP is a joint effort between the Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration Nevada Field Office and DRI. The program is administered through a collaborative effort of DRI’s three Divisions of Hydrologic Sciences, Atmospheric Sciences, and Earth and Ecosystem Sciences.  This position would reside within the Division of Hydrologic Sciences.

The primary functions of the CEMP Field Monitor/Quality Assurance Officer are to maintain functionality and calibration of field instrumentation, coordinate collection and processing of air filter and thermoluminescent dosimeter (TLD) samples, ensure quality assurance protocols are maintained, conduct and report on relevant data analyses, and train and interface with community participants (the citizen scientists known as Community Environmental Monitors or CEMs). The CEMs participate in the collection of samples, maintenance of stations, and act as liaisons to fellow community residents and other interested stakeholders.

Richard Wood

Aug 17, 2018, 9:00:00 PM8/17/18
to Safecast Air Quality Discussion
Professor Hartwell,
Is this position still open?   I am a service trained dual MOS Radar Technician/Metrologist and leveraged that and considerable education into a career in Automation and Controls in very large systems. In other civilizations I am a Metrologist but that is arcane here in the US.  So, am interested in the position, but at this point in life with more altruistic reasons.

I am overqualified, undegreed and I will put together the application information when I hear from you and am also open to contract work.

My Safecast data sets are user 1511 and now covers four states with new and additional data. I refurbished and built up a van to take surveys and allow days to weeks on location to properly document a story I still look for with a consumer? grade instrument.  Without support for differential measurements and other visualizations tools safecast has it's limits but the data structure is the best free stuff I can afford and Open Data.  Excellent trips, but extreme heat and fires changed all of the plans on the last run.
I would feel comfortable teaching or mentoring - youth needs to get energized about our sciences. - others to build meters and some level of sample methodology, or how very pure materials and our measurements are made and have changed the world. How we make cars is cool also.

Please feel free to contact me, I had been planning my survey projects and just finished the third trip months in planning and this slipped my radar  And I have mixed topics with an interest in safecast with a chance to learn, but I think I understand the FTE commitment within the position.

RichCWood@gmail
Richard Wood
3607 NE 102nd Ave
Portland Or. 97220