Sync not working with Motorola A780

arvids

Oct 9, 2007, 4:30:03 PM10/9/07
to safe_and_s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can not get working sync with my Motorola A780. I have checked connection to
my desktop from the Internet by telnetting to port 8080 from outside. But
when I try to sync from phone, no packets arrive to my desktop at all(I was
running sniffer on my desktop). It seems that it does not start a network
session - maybe something related to specific network things on A780? Other
java applications on my phone, for example, midpssh, are working OK.
Has anyone success story with sync on Motorola A780?

Best Regards, Arvids

Thomas King

Oct 10, 2007, 5:49:57 AM10/10/07
to safe_and_s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arvids,
could you please provide me some more information about your setup? How do you
connect your A780 to your desktop machine. Do you use a DSL-Router or
WIFI-Router? What are the IP addresses of your devices?

Unfortunately, I do not own a A780. Actually, I never owned a Motorola
cell-phone. So, I am unfamiliar with configuring your device.

I checked the webserver log files and there are two A780 users that loaded
Safe directly on their device. One is probably you, so there should be one
other user running Safe on a A780. Hopefully, this guy reads this email and
helps us a little bit! ;-)

Best regards,
Thomas

arvids

Oct 10, 2007, 8:13:57 AM10/10/07
to Safe_and_SafeDesktop
Hi Thomas,

yes, I was one of these two A780 users that loaded Safe directly on my
phone :)

I have Linux router between my desktop and Internet, but I am
completely sure that the problem is not here - I have tried telnet
from Internet to port 8080 on my desktop and it worked, and I also
looked at the packets with packet sniffer(tcpdump). But when I try
sync from my phone, I do not see any packet coming to me. It seems
that Safe tries to use a network connection in a way that A780 does
not understand. When I launch other java application on A780 which
uses networking I am getting prompt which asks which network profile I
would like to use. With Safe I do not get such prompt. Sync is not
working also when I make connection manually before launching Safe.

One of the network application which works OK on my A780, is midpssh
(http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/).
It is opensource, so maybe you can look at its networking part?

Regards, Arvids

Thomas King

Oct 10, 2007, 5:40:20 PM10/10/07
to safe_and_s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arvids:
I figured out what causes the problem: the Motorola A780 is not supporting
JSR172 aka Web Service API (WSA). This is why no message pops up asking for
the preferred network profile. I am sorry, but the truth is your phone is too
old to run Safe. ;-) Just buy a new one and everything will be fine. ;-)

Best regards,
Thomas

--
Praktische Informatik IV, University of Mannheim
A5,6, 68159 Mannheim, Germany

arvids

Oct 11, 2007, 7:56:29 AM10/11/07
to safe_and_s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

thank you for explanation, I will consider buying a new phone :)
But in meantime I will try to use manual sync.

Regards, Arvids