Version 64KB-Limit

Omicron78

Oct 12, 2007, 5:08:19 PM10/12/07
to Safe_and_SafeDesktop
Hi,

Safe seems to be a great tool: Exactly that one I searched for. But
there is a simple drawback with my phone: It's a Nokia 6100 and thus
it supports applet with at most 64 KB size.

Now the question/request: Is it possible to create a special version
of Safe which is less than 64 KB in size. One could think about a
version without some advanced features. Perhaps it is also possible by
doing some size optimization? A simple "size optimization" I did for
testing was to replace the text file, which contains the GPL by a file
which refers to a web page, like www.gnu.org. But unfortunately, this
did not suffice.

Greetings
Reinhard

Thomas King

Oct 13, 2007, 8:36:05 AM10/13/07
to safe_and_s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reinhard,
I checked the capabilities of the Nokia 6100 and it looks like this phone is
too old to support all JSRs required by Safe. For instance, JSR75 and JSR172
are not supported. This means, even if it would be possible to reduce the
size of the jar-file to less than 64KB, Safe will not run on this phone.

I am sorry, but in order to run Safe you need a phone that supports JSR75 and
JSR172.

Best regards,
Thomas

Omicron78

Oct 15, 2007, 4:43:55 PM10/15/07
to Safe_and_SafeDesktop
Hi,

> I checked the capabilities of the Nokia 6100 and it looks like this phone is
> too old to support all JSRs required by Safe. For instance, JSR75 and JSR172
> are not supported. This means, even if it would be possible to reduce the
> size of the jar-file to less than 64KB, Safe will not run on this phone.
>
> I am sorry, but in order to run Safe you need a phone that supports JSR75 and
> JSR172.

Oh. That's a great pity.

Nevertheless, thank you for your quick answer.

Best regards,
Reinhard