2525 N. Main Street Project

Jeff Dickman

Apr 11, 2020, 11:34:18 AM4/11/20
to David Penaloza, pbac...@santa-ana.org, Ward 1 - Vicente Sarmiento, Juan Villegas, Cecilia Iglesias
Councilperson Penaloza, thank you,

I am grateful for your reconsideration of the 2525 N. Main Street project, when Council meets to discuss the referendum results on April 21.

My neighbors collected signatures to overturn 2525 N. Main, and your announcement allows us to join together to set aside this development on April 21, and to also work toward a safer and healthier Santa Ana, where projects compliment our neighborhoods, and not negatively impact them.

For decades builders rolled into our City with the intent to remake our 60 strong neighborhoods into something else. This injured us, and created deep dissatisfaction among residents.

Over the decades, few on Council had the strength to set aside wrong-sized projects for more appropriately scaled ones. Perhaps we are entering a new time, where quality of life is more valuable than an iconic tower.

Perhaps too it is the recognition that the Mayor no longer holds absolute sway, and that Council, and the community may finally have a real voice, and a new opportunity, to grow in a way which protects our vulnerable neighborhoods from excessive traffic, noise and impacts.

I hope you, Councilperson Sarmiento, and the other members of Council will consider this when One Broadway Plaza also comes before you on April 21.

Thank you,

Jeff Dickman
French Park