NYC requiring parade permit for Critical Mass!

Ryan Sharpe

Feb 18, 2010, 2:46:24 PM2/18/10
to Sacramento Critical Mass
Bad news out of NYC: a judge ruled on Tuesday that Critical Mass had
to follow police rules requiring a parade permit for rides with more
than 50 cyclist. 49 is presumably okay, but 50 cyclists jamming the
streets is just too darn disruptive.

There's a fair amount of discussion about how well this would apply in
San Francisco (the answer seems to be a collective "Ha!"), but I
wanted to remind you that parade permit or no, Sacramento Critical
Mass will still go on. The purpose of this ride (beyond just having
fun) is to show that we bicyclists are traffic, just like the drivers
around us. It shouldn't matter whether the fifty people taking the
same roads together are stuck in three thousand pound steel cages or
riding thirty pound steel cruisers; we're all entitled to the same
roads, and we don't need official permission to use 'em.

In that light, I'll see you all next Friday, for...

Sacramento Critical Mass, February, 2010
February 26, 2010
Fremont Park, 16th and P Streets, Midtown
Meet at 5:30, ride at 6:00

--Ryan

Don't forget to join the Facebook group, too:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=73933749655&ref=nf

For more, read:
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/judge-rules-against-cyclists/
http://sfist.com/2010/02/17/critical_mass_ruling_in_ny_may_have.php
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Critical-Mass-ruling-in-NYC-could-travel-west-84540237.html

Erik Skall

Feb 18, 2010, 2:54:40 PM2/18/10
to sacramentoc...@googlegroups.com
here is something all cities can learn from: http://www.sjbikeparty.org/

Ryan Sharpe

Feb 19, 2010, 1:43:01 PM2/19/10
to Sacramento Critical Mass
I love that idea! Maybe it's not too late to rebrand Sacramento
Critical Mass...

--Ryan

On Feb 18, 11:54 am, Erik Skall <erik.sk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> here is something all cities can learn from:http://www.sjbikeparty.org/
>

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Ryan Sharpe <nothingshar...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Bad news out of NYC: a judge ruled on Tuesday that Critical Mass had
> > to follow police rules requiring a parade permit for rides with more
> > than 50 cyclist.  49 is presumably okay, but 50 cyclists jamming the
> > streets is just too darn disruptive.
>
> > There's a fair amount of discussion about how well this would apply in
> > San Francisco (the answer seems to be a collective "Ha!"), but I
> > wanted to remind you that parade permit or no, Sacramento Critical
> > Mass will still go on.  The purpose of this ride (beyond just having
> > fun) is to show that we bicyclists are traffic, just like the drivers
> > around us.  It shouldn't matter whether the fifty people taking the
> > same roads together are stuck in three thousand pound steel cages or
> > riding thirty pound steel cruisers; we're all entitled to the same
> > roads, and we don't need official permission to use 'em.
>
> > In that light, I'll see you all next Friday, for...
>
> > Sacramento Critical Mass, February, 2010
> > February 26, 2010
> > Fremont Park, 16th and P Streets, Midtown
> > Meet at 5:30, ride at 6:00
>
> > --Ryan
>
> > Don't forget to join the Facebook group, too:
> >http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=73933749655&ref=nf
>
> > For more, read:

> >http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/judge-rules-against-cycl...
> >http://sfist.com/2010/02/17/critical_mass_ruling_in_ny_may_have.php
>
> >http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Critical-Mass-ruling-in-NYC-could-tra...

G3rald Z

Feb 25, 2010, 10:02:01 PM2/25/10
to Sacramento Critical Mass
That judge isn't very smart. Of all places, NY would needs bikes.
Critical mass should just send out groups of 50 one at a time to avoid
the permit.