Where we're at

Ryan Sharpe

Dec 17, 2010, 7:11:20 PM12/17/10
to Sacramento Critical Mass
This is kind of an open letter and it starts off a bit mopey, but I
think it's worth clearing the air.

I think it's obvious now that I haven't been doing the legwork
necessary to keep Sacramento Critical Mass going. I want to, but when
it comes down to it, I just don't set aside time to run across town
posting flyers or keep the mailing list going or anything. That
sucks.

I've also been thinking about the ride itself. Sacramento's Critical
Mass doesn't have the same energy and goals (in as far as we have any)
as the SF ride, but the name carries the same stigma with it, and I
find myself often having to defend our fun local ride when I'm around
"serious" bicyclists. That sucks.

The next Critical Mass would be scheduled for December 31. That
sucks.

That said, I really miss riding in big groups through midtown,
meandering this way and that. And I'm proud that we've had a
consistent ride (even if it's been reeeeeally small) going for over
three years. And I miss hanging out at the OT afterwards.

So I want to throw things out to you folks. Should we keep Sacramento
Critical Mass going? Should we keep the name? Should we keep the
schedule? Is it more important to get people out there having fun, or
to get people out there showing off a pro-bike lifestyle right in the
middle of rush hour? And how can we get hundreds of bicyclists to
show up month after month?

--Ryan Sharpe

travis bowman

Dec 19, 2010, 11:30:50 AM12/19/10
to sacramentoc...@googlegroups.com
This may be obvious but, its not the riders that killed the spirit of
the ride its the police. They clearly have no desire to "allow" such a
movement currently. Maybe we could try to organize a trip to the SF
ride as the SacMass. Its just a thought. It would be neat to see 20-30
cyclists Amtrakin down to Berkeley then riding into the SF gathering.
I know its not financially feasible to do frequently, but it might be
a fun and nice confidence builder for the SacMassers. I hope this is
received with an open mind. It is certainly meant as an approach to a
solution not a concession of defeat.

Travis

travis bowman

Dec 19, 2010, 11:32:43 AM12/19/10