Pics of Farlowella vittata (Twig Catfish)

Tony Griffitts

Mar 16, 2014, 10:39:15 PM3/16/14
to sacramento_aq...@googlegroups.com

These Farlowella (Twig Catfish) are the offspring from SAS members Ivan and Alena Kuchta's fish.  I got these fish from them when they were about 2 inches.  They love to eat Omega One's Veggie Rounds (SAS sponsor).  The livebearers love it too.

Tony Griffitts

Apr 15, 2014, 10:30:20 PM4/15/14

Came home from work today and found this Farlowella guarding 24 large eggs.

Rich Bireley

Apr 15, 2014, 10:37:13 PM4/15/14
to Tony Griffitts, sacramento_aq...@googlegroups.com
That is very cool! Great image, too.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Tony Griffitts <tony.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Came home from work today and found this Farlowella guarding 24 large eggs.

Tony Griffitts

Apr 17, 2014, 10:25:12 PM4/17/14
to sacramento_aq...@googlegroups.com
Here are some new pics:

Male Farlowella guarding eggs three days after they were laid.

Male farlowella sucking on eggs.

Male Farlowella rostrum.

Tony Griffitts

Apr 18, 2014, 9:38:25 PM4/18/14

Here are some more pics of the 4 day old eggs. Click on the pic to see full size image.

Tony Griffitts

Aug 23, 2014, 7:23:05 PM8/23/14
to sacramento_aq...@googlegroups.com

Here are some new photos.  We now have a couple of fry growing up in the tank.  The oldest is about a month old and between 3/4 to 1 inch long.

Tony Griffitts

Sep 1, 2014, 7:23:42 PM9/1/14

Here are some photos:

Egg hatching.

3 day old fry.

Teeth.

This is why they are sometimes called whip-tail catfish.

This guy is now about a month and a half old and over an inch long.  They are about a 1/2 inch long when they hatch.

Spawning again.

Tony Griffitts

Sep 7, 2014, 3:52:09 PM9/7/14
to sacramento_aq...@googlegroups.com

Egg development progression:

1 day old eggs.

2 day old eggs.

3 day old eggs.

4 day old eggs.

5 day old eggs.

6 day old eggs.

7 day old eggs and they are spawning again.  Female left, male right.

8 day old eggs and are now beginning to hatch.

Dan Curran

Sep 8, 2014, 10:47:41 AM9/8/14
to Tony Griffitts, sacramento_aq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tony,

Nice to see the eggs develop from day to day!

Dan

Rich Bireley

Sep 8, 2014, 12:21:42 PM9/8/14
to Tony Griffitts, sacramento_aq...@googlegroups.com