Looking for plants

50 views
Skip to first unread message

Scott Weintraub

unread,
Feb 22, 2019, 6:20:44 PM2/22/19
to Sacramento Aquarium Society
I’m looking for a variety of low/mid light starter plants to see what will work with my 125 gallon setup. I’m willing to pay, and can pick up in the Davis/Sacramento area.

Thanks.

Tony Griffitts

unread,
Feb 22, 2019, 6:40:52 PM2/22/19
to Sacramento Aquarium Society
Post a pic of your tank.  If it is a standard 125 it should only cost about $75 to add 3 50w LED flood lights that will grow any aquatic plants very well.

Scott Weintraub

unread,
Feb 22, 2019, 6:47:29 PM2/22/19
to Sacramento Aquarium Society
I have decent shop lights and could add more, but I’m not dosing ferts or adding CO2 yet. I’m trying to ramp up slowly and want to see how various plants grow in my old substrate. I’m hoping that someone will share a variety of cuttings and grasses from a tank pruning and I can plug them in and see how they do. 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Sacramento Aquarium Society" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sacramento_aquarium_society/4r056fOjVRc/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to sacramento_aquarium...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sacramento_aquarium_society.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sacramento_aquarium_society/1f17c7dd-8625-41aa-9745-9ce8ee119602%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
--
-Scott

Tony Griffitts

unread,
Feb 22, 2019, 8:05:45 PM2/22/19
to sacramento_aq...@googlegroups.com

You don't need CO2 and you don't need to dose ferts.  You only need good lighting, and the correct water chemistry.  I only inject the sand bed twice a year with Flourish and Flourish Iron.  CO2 is only needed to grow plants that would not normally grow submersed or grow them when the water chemistry is less than ideal.  Here is an example of a 60g cube (24 x 24 x 24) that uses a 50w 5000K flood light. 


On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 3:47:29 PM UTC-8, Scott Weintraub wrote:
I have decent shop lights and could add more, but I’m not dosing ferts or adding CO2 yet. I’m trying to ramp up slowly and want to see how various plants grow in my old substrate. I’m hoping that someone will share a variety of cuttings and grasses from a tank pruning and I can plug them in and see how they do. 
On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 15:40 Tony Griffitts <tony.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Post a pic of your tank.  If it is a standard 125 it should only cost about $75 to add 3 50w LED flood lights that will grow any aquatic plants very well.

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 3:20:44 PM UTC-8, Scott Weintraub wrote:
I’m looking for a variety of low/mid light starter plants to see what will work with my 125 gallon setup. I’m willing to pay, and can pick up in the Davis/Sacramento area.

Thanks.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Sacramento Aquarium Society" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sacramento_aquarium_society/4r056fOjVRc/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to sacramento_aquarium_society+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
--
-Scott
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages