Mom is dying alone

Peter Van Geit

Jul 30, 2023, 6:54:58 AM7/30/23
to The Chennai Trekking Club

My name is Peter Van Geit, born in Belgium, settled in India in 1998. Since 25 years India is my home, my life, work and my future are here. I’m the only son of my mom Irena Van Goethem, 92 years, who is suffering from stage 4 breast cancer. Her doctor told me that she has little time left and might die soon. My dad died 7 years ago and there is no one else to take care of her. I have been unable to visit her since 5 years as my passport was taken away in 2018 after the police blamed me for a natural forest fire in which several hikers died. An upstanding judge granted me bail stating there is no evidence to blame me.

I filed a special leave petition in the Supreme Court of India requesting for emergency travel. The Belgian consulate is unwilling to support my appeal. Both are unlikely to succeed without further public support as they doubt my affinity towards India. I am the only son and I just want to say goodbye to mom one last time... India is my home, I built my entire life here and have absolutely no interest in moving elsewhere. If you can vouch for my deep rootedness in India, if you consider it humane to bid farewell to a dying mother then please sign this petition to support my appeal to the Consulate of Belgium & the Supreme Court of India.

https://www.change.org/p/mom-is-dying-alone