Solidarity/Witness Delegation: Palestine

1 view

Jan Miller

Mar 25, 2024, 5:09:04 PMMar 25
to Google Group Sabeel-CO
From: Jeff Wright <jeffwr...@gmail.com>
Date: March 25, 2024 at 12:32:30 PM PDT

From Colorado pastor, who has extensive experience in Palestine…

Hey, Friends,

I’m writing to invite you to consider participating in a solidarity/witness delegation to Palestine. Janet and I are pulling plans together for a trip April 23-29.

Why such short notice?

You’ve been watching the news:

  • the numbers of dead and injured in Gaza continue to rise as humanitarian assistance has been blocked and Gazan infrastructure and culture are decimated;
  • settler violence in the West Bank has spiked (hundreds of Palestinians, including children, have been killed by settlers and the IDF);
  • the economy in the West Bank has been devastated, the result of both a lack of tourism and the tens of thousands of Palestinians who are prevented from going to their jobs in Israel;
  • the U.N. and human rights organizations have declared that famine is immanent in Gaza as the orgs describe famine’s long-term effects.

You may not have heard about the feelings of isolation, fear and impending doom on the part of our Palestinian siblings, those whose faith and resilience have nurtured so many of us over the years. They’ve long lost faith in our governments in the West. Now, they have lost faith in the Western Church, which in so many corners (even among their friends) has failed to speak boldly about the humanitarian crisis and immorality of the ongoing war.

We will go to express our friendship and our solidarity.

“Come and see. Go and tell,” is the mantra we have heard for so many years. We will go in April to see and listen anew, then return to share what we have seen and heard.

Our tentative plan includes: visits with and updates from Sabeel, Kairos Palestine, Tent of Nations, Friends of Hebron, and Aida Refugee Camp leaders; a guided walking tour of Silwan; meetings with representatives of the Armenian community and UNRWA; conversations with staff of Addameer Prisoner Support, Military Court Watch and B’Tselem; and more.

We’re working with our tour company to put together the price for a land package. We are seeking modest lodging and will forward an itinerary and land package price as soon as possible. If you can’t go and want to help with the costs of another, let us know. Janet and I are paying our own costs (airfare and land package) which, on our usual tours, we divide among the pilgrims.

In the meantime, if you are interested in learning more—and possibly participating—please let us know by return email. In the meantime, please mark the dates of April 23-29 on your calendar, to pray for the delegation even if you can’t participate.

Grace, peace,

Jeff

+1 (970) 217-3065