[hpv] Smaler Wheels? Ask the UCI

William Volk

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Alex Moulton demonstrated the effectiveness of smaller wheels on standard
bicycles in the 1960's.

Hence, they are banned from UCI competition.

Bill Volk

Jeff Wills

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

I *think* the reason small wheels were banned is that they allow Team Time Trial
participants to ride much closer to each other- virtually nose-to-fanny. Score one
for uprights and small wheels.

Jeff

TomMallard

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Also a reaction to some of the kilo bikes with small wheels, there were some
with 20" wheels before being completely banned...

tom mallard
seattle

Curtis L. Russell

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Bill, IIRC the smaller wheels were banned because of the trends of time
trial bikes, and the 'problem' wheels were more in the 24" range. The ban is
still inexplicable, but I don't think you can blame Moulton. TT bikes were
running with 24" wheels in the 70s and 80s.

Or perhaps they were afraid a 4' rider on 16" wheels and a custom frame
would get smacked in the face by a pedal in a sprint. Safety is important,
you know.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)