[hpv] Re: Interesting bike mod...

Dave Larrington

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
R McIlvaine describes a bizarre and tall bicycle. I'm still kicking
myself that I didn't get a picture of Bob Johnson's Hi-Bike at our
Milton Keynes race meeting back in May. This had started life as a BMX
frame, but now appears to be several BMX frames stacked together,
putting the saddle a considerable distance from the deck. About eight
feet, I'd guess. In spite of its single rather low gear, and having to
swerve to avoid overhanging trees, he didn't come last...

And Jeff Del Papa writes of C.H.U.N.K. 666. They can be found at:

http://www.reed.edu/~karl/chunk/

They are, I think, mad enough to have other mad people living in their beards.

=====
Dave Larrington
Editor - BHPC Newsletter

Dave Larrington

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Cornel Ormsby wrote, of a tall bicycle:

> Once I was shown how to get on the awkward-looking contraption, I
> found it very easy to mount and ride; and there's quite a view
> from the top!

Long tall bicycles are, it seems, not difficult to ride, with one
important proviso. In 1990 some of the BHPC were to be found lurking
at KM150, a cycling festival celebrating the 150th anniversary of
Kirkpatrick MacMillan's invention of the bicycle. Also present were
numerous Veteran cycle buffs, many with Ordinaries. One of their
number approached our man Derrick Tweddle. "Can I have a go on your
bike, mister?" he asked, pointing at the Fast Donkey, Derrick's SWB
recumbent. "Aye, if I can have a go on yours", replied the Twed,
indicating the gentleman's ordinary. And so the deed was done. The
Ordinary man wobbled precariously around the car park for a while,
after which he demonstrated the correct method for mounting a direct
drive bicycle with a front wheel some five feet in diameter. Push,
push, scoot, hup, and Derrick hoists himself into the saddle as if he'd
been riding them for years. "This is easy", said a Geordie voice from
on high. And so it was, until it was time to stop...

It was at this event where we became acquainted with rigourous
Eastern-bloc training methods. The Czechoslovakian Ordinary Racing
Team were there. Picture an elderly rear-engined Skoda. The windows
are all steamed up, and the car is surrounded by empty Budvar bottles.
Every time a door opens to chuck out more empties, such a vast cloud of
cigarette smoke billows out that you'd think the seats were on fire.
In the morning, they wheeled out their bikes and beat the pants off all
and sundry. I have spent the last nine years trying to emulate them ;-)