[hpv] Re: Brief Sat-R-Day Impressions

john Riley

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Richard Drdul wrote:
[...]
> Personally, I would have S&S couplers installed on
> my V-Rex rather than buy a Sat-R-Day, because I place a lot of emphasis on
> performance and I don't travel with my V-Rex enough to need the Sat-R-Day's
> easy portability.

Are couplers available for the small tubes on the V-Rex? - JR

john Riley

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Richard Drdul wrote:
[...]
> The one problem I noted was a pronounced pedal steer. Despite the
> triangulated boom, the steering reacted noticeably to my pedalling effort.
[...]
Might not pedal steer be something other than a boom issue? I think if a seat
rocks side to side under hard pedaling this might express itself as pedal steer.

John Riley

Walter N. Smith

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
At 03:31 PM 10/13/1999 -0700, Kent Peterson wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Richard Drdul wrote:
>
>> First I sat on the USS bike, but didn't like the handlebars at all. One
>> reason was that Green Gear is using Shimano STI road brakes/shifters, and I
>> found the positioning of these awkward. Another reason is that I'm used to
>> ASS, so USS just doesn't "feel right" to me.

><SOME SNIPPING>
>
>I basically agree with much of what Richard said but I'll differ with him
>on the steering issue. I also prefer above seat steering in general but on
>the Sat-R-Day, I found I prefered the under seat setup. So I guess it's
>very much a you're mileage may vary thing.

One of the neat things about getting a Sat R Day is the fact that it is
custom made just for you. I have six years experience with 'bents and am
pretty well firm in my preferred setups. But when I ordered my new bike I
specified ASS for the first time. I must say that I am very happy with it.
I also declined using the STI system in favor of my Rapid Fire Plus. There
was no problem what-so-ever in making these changes.

When I ordered the bike with ASS I was venturing into unknown territory,
because I had never ridden a bike with it for more than a parking lot
trial. But I knew that if I really didn't like it I could change to USS
for about $150. This would include all hardware and cables at that price.

I think the Sat R Day is a very good bike and the suitcase folding aspect
is great.

Walt Smith, Harrison, OH (wsm...@cinci.rr.com)
Amateur Radio KB8ZQW (Member BMHA), Recumbent rider (Vision R-44FS, Sat R Day)
"The world is neither flat nor round...it's uphill, all the way"

William Volk

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
John wrote:

>> The one problem I noted was a pronounced pedal steer. Despite the
>> triangulated boom, the steering reacted noticeably to my pedalling
effort.
>[...]
>Might not pedal steer be something other than a boom issue? I think if a
seat
>rocks side to side under hard pedaling this might express itself as pedal
steer.

A long boom, even if incredibly stiff, can cause pedal steer. Particularly
if the rider had large legs.

I was engaged in a rather fast ride a few weeks back and when I really put
the power on the bike would pedal steer.

Bill Volk

DrRec...@aol.com

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
The high end Sat R Day models are custom built. The low end models are
not--the last I heard anyway.
Bob, RCN