UPDATE: DC Saab Support Convoy - Sun, Jan 24 @ 11:30

Brian Suojanen

Jan 20, 2010, 4:28:46 PM1/20/10
to Allan Holmes, Ashley Reiser, Ben Hinkle, ca...@swedishmotorcars.com, gary...@epix.net, lian...@yahoo.com, Paul M. Immo, Ryan Emge, Saab Rally DC, saab.r...@gmail.com, sok...@gmail.com, spweedy, stars...@hotmail.com, swe...@swedishmotorcars.com, swedishm...@aol.com, utk...@yahoo.com, var...@me.com
Hello Saab'ers, the convoy is coming together!

What: Saab Support Convoy
When: Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM EST
Where: International Motors Ltd, Falls Church, VA (internationalsaab.com)

At the request of many, we're going to get most everyone home in time for the Jets/Colts kickoff at 3:00. We're starting at 11:30 in order to give our brothers and sisters from PA and DE time to get here. So, yes, we're going to have to get it done in ~3 hours! I hope this is acceptable to everyone.

Here is the tentative schedule

11:30 - 12:00: Staging at International Motors in Falls Church, VA (watch for signs to the actual lot)
12:00 - 12:30: Convoy to the National Mall via I66 East
12:30 - 01:30: Rally/Photos at the National Mall and Capitol Building
01:30 - 02:00: Convoy to the Swedish Embassy
02:00 - 02:30: Rally/Photos at the Swedish Embassy
02:30 - 03:00: Convoy back to International Motors (if you can make it)

We'll lead everyone back out of DC at 2:30, after the embassy stop, heading west over the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge. At the end of the bridge folks have 3 options: north on Geo Wash Mem Pkwy, west on RT50, or west on I66. The convoy will take folks back to International Motors via I66 west.

When we rally at the Mall, we'll be circling the mall in our cars. Stop at all lights and signs. There will be lots of pedestrians visiting the Smithsonian museums and their safety is our main concern! We need folks on the Mall taking photos and shooting video, so plan for passengers to hop out when the convoy stops.

There is limited space at the Swedish Embassy (houseofsweden.com), so it's going to get tight. We might get 10-15 cars in there. However, K Street is a dead end with ample room to circle around. We might be able to lead the convoy down K Street, circle around and into the embassy lot. Here we could cycle through all the cars, 10 at a time.

That's all for now. Stay tuned...

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Suojanen

Jan 20, 2010, 5:42:56 PM1/20/10
to ryan...@saabhistory.com, Allan Holmes, Ashley Reiser, Ben Hinkle, ca...@swedishmotorcars.com, gary...@epix.net, lian...@yahoo.com, Paul M. Immo, Saab Rally DC, saab.r...@gmail.com, sok...@gmail.com, spweedy, stars...@hotmail.com, swe...@swedishmotorcars.com, swedishm...@aol.com, utk...@yahoo.com, var...@me.com, kurt....@internationalsaab.com, Tallad...@cs.com
Thank you so much, Ryan. And, yes, I contacted WASSAAB and the Swedish Embassy. There's an army updating all sites and social media as I write this.

I am, however, waiting to hear back from the embassy. I will follow up with them tomorrow morning (in person, perhaps).

Cheers,
Brian

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Ryan Emge <ryan...@saabhistory.com> wrote:

Brian,