Southern African Rare Bird News 25 July 2022

Garret Skead

Jul 25, 2022, 12:33:11 PM7/25/22
to SA Rare Bird News
Dear SARBN subscribers

Starting in Limpopo, the WOOD WARBLER remained at the same location in Phalaborwa, and was still there this morning. Interestingly, I've been sent a sound clip of the bird's vocalisations. I don't know whether the bird has been vocalising from the beginning. These calls are not yet the full song, but it will be interesting to note if anyone hears the bird singing. If the bird remains here through the winter, we can speculate that it might start to sing at a later stage. See photo attached (c) Andre Marx.

The Northern Cape delivered a good record over the weekend, with a LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL seen at Galashewe Dam near Kimberley on Saturday, entry coordinates -28.677295, 24.677191. Photo of the bird was sent out with the rarity alert email.

In Kwazulu-Natal, a PALE CHANTING GOSHAWK was found on Thursday morning at the boundary of Nambiti Private Game Reserve (-28.545, 29.968), near Ladysmith. This is a great record for KZN, where this species remains very rare. See photo attached (c) Elton John  Bartlett. Unfortunately, the bird wasn't found again over the weekend despite the efforts of some local birders.

In the Eastern Cape, the SNOWY SHEATHBILL produced another surprise, being absent at St Croix island after the initial discovery, and then seen again at the island yesterday, and was still present and showing well this afternoon. I've included a cellphone pic (c) Lloyd Edwards, which shows where the bird was located on the island.

In the Western Cape, the EURASIAN OYSTERCATCHER was still present at the Keurbooms estuary yesterday. Staying in the Garden Route, a GOLDEN-BREASTED BUNTING was seen this morning near George (at -33.943, 22.442), and there were still two WHITE-FRONTED BEE-EATERS at the riverbank alongside the Du Plessis Pass near Herbertsdale yesterday, seen from -34.077, 21.771. FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCKS continue to roam the province, with 16 individuals seen on Friday at Ridgeback Wines.

Kind regards
Garret
Pale Chanting Goshawk (c) Elton John Bartlett.JPG
Wood Warbler (c) Andre Marx.jpg
Snowy Sheathbill habitat shot St Croix Island (c) Lloyd Edwards.jpg