GIGA alert from SARBN

Trevor Hardaker

Jul 4, 2022, 1:08:35 PM7/4/22
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

WOOD WARBLER (Phylloscopus sibilatrix) – photos have filtered through this evening of what appears to be this species that was found earlier today in the grounds of Sefapane Lodge in Phalaborwa (Limpopo). The photos have also quickly been circulated to a few Northern Hemisphere birders who have come back to agree with the suggested ID. If confirmed, this would be a new species for the Southern African list. Here is a dropped pin to where the bird was seen in the lodge grounds - https://maps.app.goo.gl/GsrSo8dxz7keq7Zt9. However, please note that this is a private lodge and I’m not yet sure whether access will be granted for birders to enter their property and look for the bird. Perhaps a local from the area can make contact with the lodge and find out more. Additional and higher res images of the bird would also prove to be particularly useful if possible.

I’ve also attached a few of the photos received so far for those of you that are interested.

Found and reported by Nick Addey.

Kind regards

Trevor

01.jpg