SARBN: Pan 7 in Port Elizabeth

Trevor Hardaker

Jul 11, 2024, 3:04:59 AM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

Good morning SARBN subscribers,

Just a quick note on Pan 7 in Port Elizabeth where the TEMMINCK’S STINT has been hanging out…

Please can we kindly request that any and all birders/twitchers visiting this site to try and see this bird remain in their vehicles (preferably) or at least stay on the actual road if they insist on getting out of their vehicles. Please do not walk off the road through the vegetation to get closer to the water. There are nesting birds in the vegetation and this could cause disturbance to them or, even worse, their nests could be damaged by people inadvertently standing on them.

The birds are quite used to vehicles along the road and, with a little bit of patience, one is very likely to see the bird from your vehicle. Getting out of your vehicle breaks the silhouette that the birds would be used to and there is every likelihood that they will then move off.

I’m also told by locals that the land on either side of the road is actually conservation land and, in theory, it is illegal to walk through there.

Please keep this in mind when visiting the site and please also adhere to it.

Thanks very much!

Kind regards

Trevor